Plywood Boat Deck Help

Andon Long

Hey SU, not entirely swimbait related, but working on building out my 14ft aluminum jon boat for fishing and was looking for some help when it comes to sealing the deck of the boat. I’m going to be using marine grade plywood and carpet on the deck but don’t know what to use to seal the wood for the best and most budget friendly option as well as quickest to get this thing on the water. I have local to me Home Depot and Lowe’s so something I can get at at hardware store like those would be ideal. Appreciate any help! Hope to be out on the water with the vessel soon!

I just used pressure treated plywood with outdoor carpet in my jon boat and it has lasted almost 20 years so far but it stays in my garage and when it gets wet from fishing in the rain I leave it out in the sun to dry really good before putting it in the garage or under a cover.

Letting it stay saturated for long periods of time will cause the wood to rot much faster.

With all of that being said when I redo it I will probably use aluminum next time.

I also have a 14ft aluminum row boat that I created a deck for, what I did was after I had the deck and the supports all screwed together I took it out of the boat as a whole and painted it with 3 coats of marine grade paint. I believe I got the paint at my local hardware store but I think you could get something similar at Home Depot, maybe a paint for outdoor decking would work. Next after my paint was dry I sprayed some 3M adhesive on the wood and stretched some Carpet over and stapled it to the underside. Put it back in the boat and it’s been solid ever since. I keep a cover on my boat so the wood is always out of the elements just to prolong the life of the deck. 

IMG_3011.jpeg

The PT wood you buy will be very damp or wet and may need two or three months to air out and dry before you’d be able to seal it well and correctly. 

I think if you did an extensive online search and tried using different search terms you’d find some really good answers to your question. I’ve seen your exact question about sealing wood decks/parts come up several times over the years. 

11 hours ago, AnthonyCatlow said:

I also have a 14ft aluminum row boat that I created a deck for, what I did was after I had the deck and the supports all screwed together I took it out of the boat as a whole and painted it with 3 coats of marine grade paint. I believe I got the paint at my local hardware store but I think you could get something similar at Home Depot, maybe a paint for outdoor decking would work. Next after my paint was dry I sprayed some 3M adhesive on the wood and stretched some Carpet over and stapled it to the underside. Put it back in the boat and it’s been solid ever since. I keep a cover on my boat so the wood is always out of the elements just to prolong the life of the deck. 

IMG_3011.jpeg

See I was thinking of doing something very similar. Boat will be kept outside but I did get a cover. Just want to get the most life out of it