Switching it up to break a slump

Fried Lemons

Went through a 2 month slump where I was unable to break 5lbs on a big bait trying everything I could think of. Soft baits tossed into trees, big wakes at night, cranking rocks all produced fish but they lacked size.

Then one sunny, calm afternoon when things seemed especially bleak, I decided to drag a jig. With that my slump came to an end with 3 fish for 15lbs. Turns out I was trying too hard to force feed the swimbait when the fish were showing me clear signs they were on a craw bite.IMG_3773.thumb.jpeg.962d95c32649965bd28285f1ceca60f4.jpegIMG_3805.thumb.jpeg.600f236357e704b643a87d4be2dac034.jpegIMG_3830.thumb.jpeg.665416e4860ff1922b44236c288f5689.jpeg

Nothing wrong with a couple of solid jig bites. 3 for 15lbs is phenomenal. 
Gotta have an open mind. When they don’t want the big bait, you may have to go back to your roots. In this case, it was exactly what you needed. That is one technique I still enjoy using, flipping a jig. Especially when I am fishing with non-big bait enthusiasts. 

They are all tools of our angling passion. 

Well done. 

20 hours ago, Fried Lemons said:

I have that book, tons of good information in there for sure.

Yeah he is all about figuring out what the fish are eating and of course there are times they are keyed into bottom creatures. But true swimbait fisherman don't even consider a slump. Best line ever is from a MA living legend named Dave Lynch who says the key to swimbait fishing is "no memory." 

PS. Dave has won the pin award for largest bass caught in the state. Weighed and released too. Almost a MA 10. Great dude, chatted him up recently in line for opening at a swimbait show.   

Edited by bigpoppabass