favorite winter gloves?

jonboatjake

alright, it’s that time of year again. as i sit here on a balmy 30 degree morning, light snow coming down, dropping pressure all day and a full moon inbound psyching myself up for going out today i wonder- what are some of your guys’ favorite winter gloves? i’ve always bought cheapies at the gas station, cut the reel side thumb off, and they blow out within a day. are there options you recommend, are they rubber coated on the palms to prevent an icicle glove? do you just do what i do and suck it up? are there gloves you like that allow for full thumb coverage but you don’t feel like you lose spool feel? guide me northern wizards, before the ice comes and i watch c2c videos on youtube all winter 

IMG_0036.jpeg

I’ve been using Fish Monkey brand, “Back Country II” gloves for about three seasons. I mean, they are not gloves I would be throwing snowballs with or building an igloo, but they work for me. 
The ones I’ve been using have the fingers exposed from the knuckles up. So yea , I just “man up” as at times my finger tips get cold. They do make the same glove with full coverage as well. They are a neoprene type glove, that definitely keeps the wind in check. 

However, maybe I’ll make the switch to something more “winter designed”, based on some recommendations that may arise from this inquiry. 

Edited by Mossyback Angler

Running the boat to different spots, I slap on some real winter gloves to beat the wind chill. 

while fishing I like to use Palmyth’s.  They have a few options. The price is right, and I like that you can keep all the digits inside the glove, but “drop the top” to make casts, tie knots, deal with hooks, etc.  been rocking them for 3-4 years now. 

6 minutes ago, BassinMass978 said:

Running the boat to different spots, I slap on some real winter gloves to beat the wind chill. 

while fishing I like to use Palmyth’s.  They have a few options. The price is right, and I like that you can keep all the digits inside the glove, but “drop the top” to make casts, tie knots, deal with hooks, etc.  been rocking them for 3-4 years now. 

I Just looked them up, they look very interesting and priced right too. 

Been using the same pair of Fish Monkey Stealth Dry-Tec for maybe 3 years and absolutely love them! 100% waterproof and insulated as well. I’ve used them with temps in the 20s and they do very well. If it’s really cold I slide a pair of toe warmers into the palms and they stick to the glove so I can take my hands in and out and the warmer stays put. They’re just starting to wear a little thin on the thumbs after a few years and I use them A LOT! I’ll be ordering a new pair this week when apparel goes on sale at TW

IMG_3845.jpeg

Edited by Mossypumpkin

I really like the Aftco helm insulated gloves. They're really thin but do a great job of keeping my hands warm enough down to maybe 30 degrees or so. Maybe even a little colder than that. They're thin enough to be carried in my jacket pocket all of the time so I always have them with me. If I didn't, there's a good chance I'd forget them at home from time to time. 

@Mossyback Angler   They’re great for the price. I don’t like full finger gloves that don’t have the convertible digits, because I need to slide them off to deal with knots,etc. exposing hands to the cold. 

The neoprene ones have been keeping my hands warm and dry for as long as I’ve been using them.  Your thumb might get a little wet from a baitcasting spool, but it’s manageable. 

Fingerless alpaca or merino wool gloves should be in everyone's pockets. Dog walker cross over item. I once found a pair at a fair with fleece interior. Wish I had bought more of them since I luv vests with fleece pockets. Also wool continues to warm even if wet. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

love all these suggestions. it’s one of those things where everyone has a way they get thru it but i always feel like there could be a better way, a more efficient solution. i’m always in a pickle, im usually too big for a small and too small for a medium, so i usually go for cheap cotton ones at the gas station. a good way to improve the temp rating of those is to wear nitrile/latex exam gloves under them- traps all your hand heat but you get real sweaty (but warm) hands underneath. plus that keeps the wet gloves warm even though they are wet from your line coming back onto the spool. like i said im always between sizes so these are usually too big for thumb feel or so tight they cut off circulation but options like the rubberized work gloves are good because they keep the glove dry when you’re palming the reel, and they make fleece lined ones too 

https://www.fullsource.com/mcr-safety-n9690fc/?size=3&gad_source=1