New Curado 200M

Bass the east

While it’s not a SU Community review, here is a Tackle Talk Podcast episode that was reviewing and comparing both reels you may find interesting: 

https://www.tackletalkpodcast.com/podcast/episode/348a6df4/shimano-showdown-brand-new-curado-m-vs-curado-k

Hopefully some of the SU community chimes in with their thoughts on the reel. 

Edited by Mossyback Angler
Additional information

Great post, definitely following. Perfect timing too because I'm actually in the same boat. Except, I also have the Shimano Curado 200 DC on my radar too. 

I recently just got a new Irod Kaimana 7'9" Poe's Mag Stick that I finally got to take out. I immediately fell in love with the action, taper and the weight range. 1-3oz glide baits and hard baits are my bread and butter and the Poe's Mag Stick is perfect for these baits. 

My current reel gets the job done but I always felt like getting something that is a lot more refined and that offers a more enjoyable fishing experience. I am looking for a 200 sized baitcaster for small to medium size glide baits and hard baits in that 1-3oz range that will pair perfectly with the Irod Kaimana Poe's Mag Stick. 

It's a 3 way pickle/battle between the Shimano Curado 200 K, Shimano Curado 200 DC and the Shimano Curado 200 M. As far as specs and numbers on paper, they are all really close. As far as line capacity, all 3 reels hold about the same line. 

Some concerns/questions...

1. Does anyone know if the gear train in the Curado DC reels are beefy enough for fishing 1-3oz glide baits and hard baits?
  2. Does anyone know if the gear train in the Curado K reels are beefy enough for fishing 1-3oz glide baits and hard baits?
  3. Can the braid setting on the Curado DC handle fishing 1-3oz glide baits? I fish braid to leader for all of my glide baits and hard baits. 
  4. Does the Curado DC palm about the same as the Curado 200K? 

I am definitely leaning towards the Curado 200 DC since I like to fish braid to leader and the DC braking system has a braid setting. I am just a little worried about the gear train and if it's beefy enough to handle 1-3oz baits. 

As far as price, I am leaning towards the Curado 200K. I am seeing some sales across the board from a lot of online retailers for the 200K since its an older model now and retailers are trying to make room for newer models/stock. I don't mind getting the 200K, even if it's considered old since the price is so cheap/attractive now. I need money for baits too you know. I am hoping the 200K can handle 1-3oz baits with no issues/problems. 

On the other hand, If the gear train is not beefy enough in both the Curado 200K and the 200 DC, then I also don't mind stepping up to the Curado 200M for the better gears. 

@Bass the east Are you really throwing 4oz baits with a Curado K? What's the heaviest bait you've ever thrown on the Curado K? I have never fished a Curado K before but I have heard that the Curado K's gear train is not beefy enough and was not really made for throwing heavy swimbaits. I'm surprised you actually throw 4oz baits with a Curado K. Have you experienced any issues? Any grinding? Is it really that bomb proof/durable? 

Hopefully there is someone in here who has fished all 3 reels and can give some feedback comparisons for everyone on SU. 

I have fished all three reels. I’ve been with shimano for around 4 years now and have a ton of time otw with the curado K. 
The K was my favorite reel of all time, it’s smooth, cast far, and dependable. I have had K’s basically get worn down to the bone have never had any issues with the gears or drags. Which is the most import part when it comes to landing fish.

I’ve been putting in time with the new Curado M’s and all I can say up to this point is I am very impressed. It’s got the smooth reel of the higher end metanium’s and feels solid as a rock. I like the more rounded off features of the M. I was hoping shimano didn’t stray far from the K and it seems like they hit a homerun with the M.

As far as the DC, I personally am not a fan. Only because I set my reels extremely loose and do all the work with my thumb.

I do think the DC is a phenomenal reel but when the K and M are as perfect as they are I don’t see a need to spend the extra cash.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

One other price friendly reel that has only gotten better with time for me is the tatula 200. I replaced the stock handle with the handle from my lexa winn grip because it's beefier and this reel is smooth after a few months breaking in it was just a pleasure. They are cheap and can be found on sale plus a code nearly everywhere. Anything upto 4oz goes way far and under control. Since you are braid to leader (I am too) you hear guys cry about the twing but if you aren't throwing rope to weedwacker line it works great. 40# to 16# up to 20# has always worked great for me. Anyway I'm definitely a Shimano lover (fan boy actually) but Diawa has a solid place in my lineup...always will.  The sv103 for conventional is the best little reel on the planet as far as I'm concerned - so perhaps a look at the Daiwa line may prove useful. Cheers