What rod to throw 6+ oz glide baits on?

9 hours ago, Fishingthesoutheast said:

I'll probably go with the dobyns 908. But I'm still open to suggestions.

Yeah I think if you're set on the dobyns that is definitely the one to go with or as others recommended the 867.  I tried throwing a 250 on my 806 and I feel i can get away with it but i think i'm noticing that all dobyns rods tend to overestimate their load power.  The 908 should be ideal for something 6-7 oz

Edited by scojangles

Just now, scojangles said:

Yeah I think if you're set on the dobyns that is definitely the one to go with.  I tried throwing a 250 on my 806 and I feel i can get away with it but i think i'm noticing that all dobyns rods tend to overestimate their load power.  The 908 should be ideal for something 6-7 oz

Word you think it'll throw an 11.5" 9.5 oz trout glide like a hinkle?

12 minutes ago, Fishingthesoutheast said:

the 867 yes.  It will probably feel pretty loaded but it should handle.  I've never thrown that but based on my experience with the dobyns sb rods you should be good.

Edited by scojangles

15 minutes ago, Fishingthesoutheast said:

908 will handle a hinkle trout glide more than fine. With the 867 u can kinda get away with it by babying it but it won’t be as comfortable overtime. 

10 hours ago, Ellisb10 said:

I agree it’s a great rod. But in my opinion 4oz is the sweet spot and once u get around the deps 250 weight. It become to much for the rod. I did have the rod snap with a Rafa 10” shad that was right at 5oz. 

You actually broke a Megabass Levante Leviathan rod throwing a 5oz bait? How? 

I'm hoping this was a 'fluke' and not something that is a common occurrence/condition, right? Are you sure you didn't have a hair line fracture in the blank somewhere that was probably put there due to negligence or improper mishandling, storage and/or transportation and that could of been prevented and therefore preventing a situation like this from ever happening in the first place? 

Reason why I ask is...

I have always wanted a Megabass Levante Leviathan ever since they came out a few years ago. I am pretty dead set on getting a Megabass Levante Leviathan as my next swimbait rod for throwing 5oz+ glide baits. I really want to fish a Deps 250 and the Megabass Levante Leviathan is the rod I have always been eyeing and wanting to get in order to fish a Deps 250 and other 5oz+ glide baits. 

I have done nothing but constant research and reading of reviews for the Megabass Levante Leviathan. Most of the reviews I see and hear are nothing but positive and how good they are and how good the quality is since it's Megabass. There are a lot of guys claiming that the Megabass Levante Leviathan can handle a Deps 250 'just fine'. Some reviewers even say that it's the perfect rod for throwing and fishing a Deps 250. The Deps 250 is right around 6.1 to 6.5oz. That is a full ounce heavier than the bait you used when you broke your rod. I have also heard that the sweet spot for the rod is right around 6oz since it throws and fish's the Deps 250 so well, of which is 2oz heavier than what your claiming as the sweet spot for the rod. 

With that said, you're the very first negative review/feedback I have ever encountered for the Megabass Levante Leviathan specifically and honestly, it kind of has me worried and on edge since I am so adamant on getting the Megabass Levante Leviathan as my next swimbait rod. To make matters even worse, Megabass's rod warranty isn't the best in the fishing industry.

I am hoping there is someone in here who has a lot of Megabass Levante Leviathan experience and can give me some honest feedback for the rod. I am getting conflicting reviews and experiences and I need more clarification so I can make an informed buying decision. 

Therefore, What is the sweet spot for the Megabass Levante Leviathan? Can it handle 6oz just fine? What is the rod's upper limit/max, as far as lure weights go? Was Ellisb10's experience with the rod breaking on a cast with a 5oz bait just a fluke? 

I guess I should just try and find one in a local tackle shop somewhere so I can feel it in hand for myself in real life instead of relying on reviews from people on the internet. Sorry for the long post reply and rant. 

12 minutes ago, DEPS_250 said:

I'm hoping this was a 'fluke' and not something that is a common occurrence/condition, right? Are you sure you didn't have a hair line fracture in the blank somewhere that was probably put there due to negligence or improper mishandling, storage and/or transportation and that could of been prevented and therefore preventing a situation like this from ever happening in the first place? 

Reason why I ask is...

I have always wanted a Megabass Levante Leviathan ever since they came out a few years ago. I am pretty dead set on getting a Megabass Levante Leviathan as my next swimbait rod for throwing 5oz+ glide baits. I really want to fish a Deps 250 and the Megabass Levante Leviathan is the rod I have always been eyeing and wanting to get in order to fish a Deps 250 and other 5oz+ glide baits. 

I have done nothing but constant research and reading of reviews for the Megabass Levante Leviathan. Most of the reviews I see and hear are nothing but positive and how good they are and how good the quality is since it's Megabass. There are a lot of guys claiming that the Megabass Levante Leviathan can handle a Deps 250 'just fine'. Some reviewers even say that it's the perfect rod for throwing and fishing a Deps 250. The Deps 250 is right around 6.1 to 6.5oz. That is a full ounce heavier than the bait you used when you broke your rod. I have also heard that the sweet spot for the rod is right around 6oz since it throws and fish's the Deps 250 so well, of which is 2oz heavier than what your claiming as the sweet spot for the rod. 

With that said, you're the very first negative review/feedback I have ever encountered for the Megabass Levante Leviathan specifically and honestly, it kind of has me worried and on edge since I am so adamant on getting the Megabass Levante Leviathan as my next swimbait rod. To make matters even worse, Megabass's rod warranty isn't the best in the fishing industry.

I am hoping there is someone in here who has a lot of Megabass Levante Leviathan experience and can give me some honest feedback for the rod. I am getting conflicting reviews and experiences and I need more clarification so I can make an informed buying decision. 

Therefore, What is the sweet spot for the Megabass Levante Leviathan? Can it handle 6oz just fine? What is the rod's upper limit/max, as far as lure weights go? Was Ellisb10's experience with the rod breaking on a cast with a 5oz bait just a fluke? 

I guess I should just try and find one in a local tackle shop somewhere so I can feel it in hand for myself in real life instead of relying on reviews from people on the internet. Sorry for the long post reply and rant. 

No worries on the long reply. I was the same before buying mine always trying to find every single review/video i can get my hands on constantly. From personal experience you can get away with the deps 250 but i wouldn't push it past that. Overtime after a few hours it get uncomfortable for me especially when throwing 5-6oz. But its a nice rod well built and a got a really nice parabolic bend. To me the sweet spot is around 4oz as well as a really good k9 rod in my opinion. The max limit i would throw is 7 oz. So if I were you I wouldn't be worry about it at all. 

Literally, I was just side casting my bait and then suddenly it just snapped in half.  After most of my trips i always check/clean my rod from top to bottom. So there no mark or any type of fracture on the blank itself. 

In my personal opinion I’d say save up the extra few bucks and get a leviathan. In this hobby you’re better off buying the right thing the first time instead of buying entry level first then trying to sell for an upgrade in a year or 2. I bought an 867 for a great price second hand and I gotta say the rod feels like it’s at the upper end of its capacity throwing a Deps 250 / WCZ Tyrant and those are 6oz baits

6 hours ago, DEPS_250 said:

Reason why I ask is...

What's up, the levante leviathan is a great rod for about 5oz and under. Really like it for K9, phoney shad etc. but I wouldn't recommend it for anything bigger. Sure you could throw a 250 on it. I have, just was a bit under power for me. Don't get me wrong it will do it just lob cast. Definitely not going to be whipping that 250 around with ease and accuracy. As for durability mine seems pretty solid. There was a issue with a run awhile back but megabass has resolved all that. Just grab a newer model but in my opinion you should check out some other rods if you want something that can handle baits over 5oz (with accuracy).