Conquest MD: 300 vs 400 size

freelancer27

Hi all!

I am considering putting a new heavier swimbait combo together (rod would be the Destroyer TS King of Baccarat).

I will choose on of the new Conquest MD but unsure which size to choose. 

Are the 300 and 400 size MDs sharing the same body and only differentiate in spool size?

I had the 2018 CC in the 400 size as a reference. Is the 400 size MD of the same body size as the 2018?

Planning to use #25 FC. Most likely straight FC, but might consider braid to FC (what # test for the braid should I consider?).

Planning to throw anything from a deps 250 and up on this combo, with 9# being the max. 

Thanks all!!

The body of the 2023 is slightly different than the 2018.  The bigger handle and paddles are what really stuck out to me along with how much smoother the MD is vs the 2018's.  Based on what you've said you're using it for I'd go with the 400 size.  I have 8 of the 400 MD's with 20lb and 25lb fluorocarbon on them, I prefer the wider 400 spool.  Just like the 2018's, they have the S-compact body/side plate so they're easy to palm.  Good luck with your decision.

I have a few of the 2018’s and have been fishing the new 401 MD since it came out and as @22RangerZ520R stated it’s noticeably smoother that the 2018. 

The handle is 102 mm and has really nice easy to grip knobs so no need to update the handle IMO. 

The diameter of the “ palming side “ of the MD is almost identical to the 2018 BUT the big difference is the MD has a bit more of a radius on the edge and is definitely more comfortable in hand. 

Width - almost identical 

weight - the MD is about an ounce more than the 2018 .  MD = 13.4 oz with a lined spool, my 2018 weights 13.3 but I do have a DRT 117 mm handle on it  

Biggest difference is the shape of the gear box and I’m assuming thats to accommodate the magnetic drive. 

The only slight issue I have with the reel is removing the spool - u need to have the side plate in a certain position and kinda “ finagle “ the spool out. It also seems to help if you remove the spool tension knob when removing the spool 

IMG_9177.jpeg

IMG_9179.jpeg

IMG_9180.jpeg

IMG_9181.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bass_blaster said:

Here’s the 200xg/300MD/400MD next to each other. 300 and 400 are same size around, but the 400 has wider spool (and thus wider frame). All of them are comfy to me. 

IMG_9800.jpeg

IMG_9801.jpeg

May I ask you when you use the 300 and when the 400 size?

20 minutes ago, freelancer27 said:

May I ask you when you use the 300 and when the 400 size?

I use 300 for hard baits since I don’t long line them. I use 400 for soft baits because on occasion I’ll cast them out and then move away with my kayak/boat to have a longer cast. 

24 minutes ago, Bass_blaster said:

I use 300 for hard baits since I don’t long line them. I use 400 for soft baits because on occasion I’ll cast them out and then move away with my kayak/boat to have a longer cast. 

Thanks again!

Looks like the 300 size should be plenty for any big bait fishing for bass. The 400 woul provide some better ipt at the end of the cast and some future proofing for bigger saltwater fishing.