Dedicated crawler rod

Sean k

If you’re throwing them on braid, heavy crank rods can be a great option. I have a glass composite cranking stick and it’s great because it launches the baits, is lighter than most swimbait rods so it fished in a tip up orientation very well, and obviously the parabolic action lets them eat it very well and absorbs a lot of the vibration from the bait itself, and nothing keeps a fish pinned like a glass composite stick does.

its a bit soft to fish them on mono though, you will want something a little more stout

2 minutes ago, brootalititties said:

If you’re throwing them on braid, heavy crank rods can be a great option. I have a glass composite cranking stick and it’s great because it launches the baits, is lighter than most swimbait rods so it fished in a tip up orientation very well, and obviously the parabolic action lets them eat it very well and absorbs a lot of the vibration from the bait itself, and nothing keeps a fish pinned like a glass composite stick does.

its a bit soft to fish them on mono though, you will want something a little more stout

Any specific rods I could look into? 

I use the St. Croix Legend glass LGC88HM, it's rated to 1 3/8 oz. but I regularly fish 2 - 4 oz. baits on it and it doesn't feel overloaded. the sweet point is around 1.5-2 oz. which covers most conventional to bigger sized crawlers. The glass blank makes all the difference in hooking up on fish and not destroying the crawler wings on the hookset. Usually I give a slow sweep to feel for when the fish pulls the crawler down and just crank it down hard once I feel like the fish got the hooks. Overreacting and doing a hard hookset on the sound of the eat alone just loses fish and breaks crawlers.

I really wish St. Croix would make a 1-4 oz. and a 4-8 oz. version of the same rod. I use the 88HM for all my wakes, crawlers, and assorted magnum cranks but it can't quite throw my bigger wakes and rats.

So I’ve been using an older model shimano curado glass composite cranking rod and it works great but I had my eye for awhile on one of the Phenix glass composite cranking rods. Their heavy is rated 1-3 oz and they make a 7’ foot version that I really figured would be money for crawlers but I’ve had other things higher on my list to get. I have not used this rod at all but I have had many other Phenix rods and for their price point I really think they make some of the best production rods out their and the tapers on their blanks have always been spot on for their intended applications so I would assume the same for this rod

@Sean k

Edited by brootalititties

I like hearing about fans of fiberglass. I consider it a great choice for baits like crawlers which are best fished using braided line imo. Now if only the top tier rod makers would reduce their prices for use of this cheaper base material. 

20 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

I like hearing about fans of fiberglass. I consider it a great choice for baits like crawlers which are best fished using braided line imo. Now if only the top tier rod makers would reduce their prices for use of this cheaper base material. 

Truly what they charge for fiberglass fly rods is criminal, the blanks cost pennies to manufacture. I imagine St. Croix's S-Glass is probably more intensive to manufacture but at the end of the day fiberglass is still a much cheaper material than carbon or graphite.

On 1/29/2024 at 8:41 PM, Sean k said:

Looking to get a new rod as the title says . Any recommendations? Was wanting something a little shorter than 7’9. 1-3 oz range thanks su!

Also on the criteria of under 7'9" the legend glass also comes in a 72HM, which while I haven't used that particular model, it is rated up to 1 3/8 oz. like the 88HM. Legit Design (they make great <7' swimbait rods) also makes a glass cranking model, the WSC-G70MH which is rated to 1 1/4 oz. I've been able to push the 88HM well beyond the limits of what it's rated to cast and I don't imagine any of the other two rods would have issues pitching 3 oz. crawlers. 

Edited by Jon P

4 hours ago, Jon P said:

Also on the criteria of under 7'9" the legend glass also comes in a 72HM, which while I haven't used that particular model, it is rated up to 1 3/8 oz. like the 88HM. Legit Design (they make great <7' swimbait rods) also makes a glass cranking model, the WSC-G70MH which is rated to 1 1/4 oz. I've been able to push the 88HM well beyond the limits of what it's rated to cast and I don't imagine any of the other two rods would have issues pitching 3 oz. crawlers. 

I actually have the legit design big bait special. The 6’4 model. Love the rod . Might give that a go and see how it performs. 

also thanks for all the input SU! Really appreciate it 

34 minutes ago, Sean k said:

I actually have the legit design big bait special. The 6’4 model. Love the rod . Might give that a go and see how it performs. 

also thanks for all the input SU! Really appreciate it 

Really want to get either that 64XH or the G70MH cranking model for my next Legit Design rod. I've got the 65XXH and it is hands down the most fun to fish rod I own. Originally got it for fishing the Balam 300 in tight spaces but it's really become my best all-rounder rod. Only downside is that it can be a bit on the fast side for staying loaded up on smaller fish.

Since we’re on the subject, the megabass Valkyrie series has blended glass blanks and the 1 piece 6’6” is probably my favorite rod. It’s like 30-40% glass blend unless I’m mistaken so the taper is absolutely sick in terms of parabolic bend. Throws 1-5 oz which is what it’s rated for like a dream. Just pretty useless for hard hooksetting soft baits. I have not tried fishing g crawlers on This yet as it’s my main rod for big wakes and cranks but might actually be a sick option and not $500+ . The glass composite and long handle make it easy to cast similar distance as my 8’ rods. Cannot say enough good things about that stick