3:16 Wake Jr versus Mattlures billed wake baits

waynem

Hey guys - both Mattlures and 3:16 get lots of kudos here for making baits that get bit. 3:16 has the Wake Jr and Mattlures has a similar size billed wake bait in the StrongBass/StrongPerch series. For SU members that have fished both: what are the good and bad points of each? What conditions would make you choose one over the other? Thanks for the info.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys - both Mattlures and 3:16 get lots of kudos here for making baits that get bit. 3:16 has the Wake Jr and Mattlures has a similar size billed wake bait in the StrongBass/StrongPerch series. For SU members that have fished both: what are the good and bad points of each? What conditions would make you choose one over the other? Thanks for the info.

Get mattlures. Stand up dude, realistic as you can get. They plain out catch fish. 316..................not so much. Hard to get. Not sure why, they break and are over priced. All they catch is your wallet. So if you want to catch more than a cold. Get mattlures you won't be sorry. And for half the price.

Get mattlures. Stand up dude, realistic as you can get. They plain out catch fish. 316..................not so much. Hard to get. Not sure why, they break and are over priced. All they catch is your wallet. So if you want to catch more than a cold. Get mattlures you won't be sorry. And for half the price.

Never had a problem catching fish on my 3:16 wake or had any issues with the bait breaking even hitting rock after rock. I have not yet fish a mattlures billed wake so I can't provide any feedback.

Ms slammer gets it done though like Colby said.

Mickey's Wake Jr is by far his best hard bait and fairly easy to get. My billed baits are not easy to find. I have only made a couple hundred. I believe they are both good and they both get bit. I will be releasing some slightly bigger ones probably next month but right now I don't have any in stock so price and availibility might be big factors in deciding you choice.

Mickey's Wake Jr is by far his best hard bait and fairly easy to get. My billed baits are not easy to find. I have only made a couple hundred. I believe they are both good and they both get bit. I will be releasing some slightly bigger ones probably next month but right now I don't have any in stock so price and availibility might be big factors in deciding you choice.

Thanks for the honest analysis.

Makes some of the other posts seem petty.

I would also say one of the biggest differences is noise. the wake jr is very loud with the joint clacking and the tail also makes noise. My bait is very quiet in comparison. I honestly dislike the saying "there is a time and a place for each bait" because I think its usually a way to make an inferior bait seem needed but in this case I think it does apply. I have had about equal amount of nights where the fish wanted a loud top water like a buzz bait or loud wake bait one night, and a quiet top water like an osprey, or a quiet wake bait another night. This is one of those times where I think you will be happy with either one or both.

Buy all three 8-)

Seriously, I do a lot of night fishing during the summer time and bring all three. Except I have a floating hardgill and not a billed. I've had banner nights on the wake jr where it's the only lure I throw all night. The next trip I'd only be able to catch dinks or nothing at all and I'd have to switch to my slammer to get bit. Then it seems the slammer ain't getting bit like it should then I'd have to finesse some fish out with a hardgill. Things would repeat themselves and I'd have to switch to a wake jr or slammer.

All three are equally outright fish catchers when they are thrown in the right conditions

Might be the dumbest ish ive ever read.

Wow! I think 3:16 wakes are probably the best in my opion very well built too. If some how you manage to break one he will fix or replace it. Ive never fished matts yet.

Wow! I think 3:16 wakes are probably the best in my opion very well built too. If some how you manage to break one he will fix or replace it. Ive never fished matts yet.

you couldn't give me a 3:16 anything. ..The only way you fix them is with a sledge hammer.