Livescope setups

MeanFish

So I am looking into getting my first FFS setup. What ones do yall think are best without draining my bank account, I know I can go with the older LVS32 and save some money but i think i wanna go with a 34 just for the fact its newer, slightly clearer and hopefully would last forever. And it seems like i have about 10 options in chartplotters that are compatible but not sure what would actually be the best and cheapest. I don't need a huge screen, I'm fishing off just a 16ft jon boat currently. What setups are yall using and how mush they cost you?

So if you're not looking to drain your bank account then I would just go with the 32.  The difference is truly not that noticeable between the two. In my opinion the 34 looks like just a really dialed in 32 and honestly i kind of regret spending $1000 to upgrade.  If I could go back I would just buy a Hinkle Trout with that $1k lol. 

For graphs the same thing will kind of apply.  The difference between a 9" screen and 10" is pretty small but the cost difference is big.  If you're somewhat young or still have good eyes then just go with the 32 and 9" screen.  This is especially true if you're throwing big baits as they obviously show up very well.  Plus the 32 has had a couple software upgrades since release so it's even better now than a couple years ago.  The absolute best deals you are going to find on a Livescope setup are in the Electronics for sale section of BassBoatCentral.com.  It's where I have bought all 3 of my LVS bundles from and I've saved hundreds of $$$.   There are always guys on there selling their complete setups for cheap as they upgrade to the latest and greatest or start a new tournament season.

My current setup is pretty standard on the bow of a boat with the 34 mounted to my Ultrex.  I'm running a 106sv with the 34 and I have about $2300 in it for everything.

Edited by Seminole Slide Swimmer

I have mine in a portable bag. 93sv+ with lvs32, amp lifepo4 battery ($2k cost). I mount my summit pole/ducer in a Minnkota transom bracket. 16'ft tracker boat. If you fish on the front deck most of the time then it's best to mount up by the bow. You can use a beatdown outdoors mount or make your own. and mount the ducer on the trolling motor or separate pole mount. Run your screen and black box to a lifepo4 battery. I think a lot of people use the 10", best bang for your buck if you can get it at $1k or less. I have used friend's 10" and 12" but see not much difference from my 93sv, hence I haven't "upgraded" yet lol. If you have money and want a one and done purchase then get the 10-12" screen with lvs34. If you're really worried about draining your bank account then just get a 93 uhd with lvs32. FB marketplace can be a good start for a used unit all setup for you already around or under $2k. GL

Being that you posted this on here, I'm guessing you're not going to be trying to watch a 1/16oz ned rig on the bottom with ffs... 

Humminbird Live isn't the "best" ffs out there right now, but it definitely does what I need it to do and I can see my big baits just fine with it.  I can attribute my last three DD's along with many 9lbers and 8lbers to the Mega Live.  Humminbird is offering $500 right now also which would save some coin.

If you're definitely set on the Garmin, the only advice I can give is get the biggest lithium battery (at least 125ah and make sure it has a BMS system/app) and biggest screen you can afford.

Good luck with your setup!

Edited by 22RangerZ520R

Get the 34.  Buy once cry once.  The 34 is definitely better than the 32.  The difference in target separation alone when scoping fish around cover,  and when they are glued to the bottom, is much better.  You also do not need a huge battery - just for a single graph and livescope.  I have it on my kayak with a 93SV and still have 25 percent of a 35AH battery left after an 8 hour tournament.   If you want beautiful clarity - get a 16v battery.  I run a powerhouse lithium 16v 100AH battery on my bass boat that is dedicated to just my electronics and the clarity using the 16v is awesome.  Not just for scope, but for side scanning as well. 

The reality should be if you’re gonna invest in FFS do it right, buy the 34, run it to a lithium with a sea clear harness, put a rite hite turret on it, and throw a touch screen 12 on the bow. If you are afraid of breaking the bank FFS prob isn’t for you lol. Do it right the first time, because eventually you will end up having it all!

I think the meta point here is that you can always find ways to spend MORE on a livescope setup.  Whether the extra dollars you spend translate to meaningful utility to you is a very personal choice...the good news is that you've got options.  I didn't feel like a turret, 16v battery, or fancy wiring harness were worth the cost when I added livescope to my Caracal...might be for some folks, but to me that money is better spent on gas for more fishing trips.

I went with a Garmin Echomap 126sv UHD for $1500 from Bass Pro, and LVS34 + GLS10 for $1500 from a sponsor on Bass Boat Central.  Total for the entire project plus consumables/mount for the new graph was $3200.  Echomaps jump up in resolution from the 9" to 10" units, but the 10" and 12" have the same resolution...if you're not wanting to break the bank, I'd be giving the 10" graph a hard look.  I think Bass Pro still has some on clearance for $1000 as they're making room for the new UHD2 units, or you can scour the classifieds on Bass Boat Central for a good deal.  Definitely agree with all the folks saying lithium is the way to go, get a good 12v battery and wire it separately from your trolling motor so you don't get interference.

I got a real steal on my lvs32 for my kayak from a local guide who wanted to go back to 'natural' fishing... Glad he did because it absolutely transformed my old town 106 into an absolute big bait battleship AND I can see my smallest SpyBait and sparkshad on a jig head up to 100 feet away on the 93sv. I'm fairly blind by the way. Ram mounts and an extra extension livescope cord ensures that my scope is completely removable as is the head unit. Id say the setup is dialed and as long as you pay attention to your settings, the screen will stay clean and your baits will be easy to identify. I had extra money to throw at it at the time, but seriously glad I kept it basic. Beware- you can fry your transducer for the 93sv jacking around in the settings for transducer assignment. I definitely ruined my right side mega frequency (pictured) but get by very well using the lower frequency settings on SI. 23ah Dakota gets me well thru a full day scoping and scanning also. No other electronics on both. Good luck pimpin your ride!

PXL_20230804_101908670.jpg

PXL_20230804_112404056.jpg

2 hours ago, maine y yak said:

I got a real steal on my lvs32 for my kayak from a local guide who wanted to go back to 'natural' fishing... Glad he did because it absolutely transformed my old town 106 into an absolute big bait battleship AND I can see my smallest SpyBait and sparkshad on a jig head up to 100 feet away on the 93sv. I'm fairly blind by the way. Ram mounts and an extra extension livescope cord ensures that my scope is completely removable as is the head unit. Id say the setup is dialed and as long as you pay attention to your settings, the screen will stay clean and your baits will be easy to identify. I had extra money to throw at it at the time, but seriously glad I kept it basic. Beware- you can fry your transducer for the 93sv jacking around in the settings for transducer assignment. I definitely ruined my right side mega frequency (pictured) but get by very well using the lower frequency settings on SI. 23ah Dakota gets me well thru a full day scoping and scanning also. No other electronics on both. Good luck pimpin your ride!

PXL_20230804_101908670.jpg

PXL_20230804_112404056.jpg

How did you fry the side scan 

The system went into 'select transducer ' mode for some reason when I was assembling my portable setup. I connect all wires each time I load and unload the yak bc I was car topping and couldn't install my battery/scope permanently. It happened during that time. Now I'm trying to build a trailer so I may permanently install my electronics. I was bummed at first but got used to the lower frequency. Works fine until I save for a new upgrade 

Oh wow, ill have to watch out for that too, i plan on having mine be a portable set up as well, will just be sure to shut it down completly before unhooking i guess lol. 

BUT i did it!! I bought Garmin Livescope Plus LVS34 with Echomap 93sv UHD US Lakevu g3 Bundle on bassfishingelectronics.com , they had a good discount for it at only $2100