Help (beginner)

Swimb8 Slinger

So I recently bought a Shimano Curado K 200 and I’m about to buy the Dobyns fury 795 as my first swimbait rod. I’m looking at buying a trick shad from bullshad swimbaits as my first glide since it’s trustworthy and a good size. How does this sound, any comments on my plan or things I should change? Also I see the monthly SUB tournaments and am curious how those work, can someone please briefly explain to me on how those tournaments go about? 

thanks for anyone that takes the time to respond to this.

Which trick shad? That's a pretty soft rod, but imo should be ok up to 3 oz max, if u must. But 1 to 2 oz treble hook baits would be more ideal. I wouldn't use it for anything over 3 oz. Just my 2 cents 

The monthly tournaments, look for the post in the SUB section, u gotta comment "in" before the tournament starts. Read the rules on first page. You have one week to catch and enter fish via pictures or video 

Welcome and good luck 

Welcome! I have property on Lake Marion but won't be able to fish it until retirement.

There are no hard and fast rules for throwing large baits.... Do what works for you with your set-up and lake.

Jump in the deep end and start swimming ..... learn something every time you go.

59 minutes ago, SumoNinja said:

Which trick shad? That's a pretty soft rod, but imo should be ok up to 3 oz max, if u must. But 1 to 2 oz treble hook baits would be more ideal. I wouldn't use it for anything over 3 oz. Just my 2 cents 

The monthly tournaments, look for the post in the SUB section, u gotta comment "in" before the tournament starts. Read the rules on first page. You have one week to catch and enter fish via pictures or video 

Welcome and good luck 

I was thinking the “7” trick shad and if u think the fury isn’t the best first rod what would u suggest?

15 minutes ago, azsouth said:

Welcome! I have property on Lake Marion but won't be able to fish it until retirement.

There are no hard and fast rules for throwing large baits.... Do what works for you with your set-up and lake.

Jump in the deep end and start swimming ..... learn something every time you go.

No way I live in moncks corner and fish Santee almost weekly haha but thanks for the advice ill just dive in like you say and see what happens thanks 

2 hours ago, Swimb8 Slinger said:

No way I live in moncks corner and fish Santee almost weekly haha but thanks for the advice ill just dive in like you say and see what happens thanks 

Funny my property isn't 10 minutes from you......I am on the Wyboo arm!

Once you have some time in throwing the baits you like, You will be able to ask some exact questions.

I rather enjoy wake baits but you will have to figure out what you like.

23 minutes ago, azsouth said:

Funny my property isn't 10 minutes from you......I am on the Wyboo arm!

Once you have some time in throwing the baits you like, You will be able to ask some exact questions.

I rather enjoy wake baits but you will have to figure out what you like.

Yea your right thanks for the advice man :)