New 711 Nameless Custom Rod

Jim137a

I finally had the opportunity and a little bit of open water to test out the new / revised 711 from Nameless Custom Rods that’s built on an American made blank. 

Initial impressions are that the blank is amazingly accurate, extremely light in hand, overall feel and craftsmanship are top notch, the new and innovative bicycle grip is super comfortable and conforms perfectly in hand all combined with a sensitive tip to feel those light bites. 

I was amazed at the overall broad range of the rod as it easily and accurately threw a 2oz TK, 4oz K9 and the 10” Hoog trout at about 5.5oz. I definitely feel you could throw a bit more over the rods 6oz rating. 

Definitely please to have this rod in my arsenal for 2024. 

I’m so hoping for an early ice out. 

IMG_0034.jpeg

Also I forgot to mention that the rod I’m using was Justin’s test blank that he lifted a 10# kettle bell with and SWUNG a 3# weight around pretty hard and its holding up to that abuse just fine. 

He's now building them using Stryker Rod blanks from Oregon. They used to be Rogue Rods but under new ownership - Nate Langelo is the owner. Their website sells production rods from the shop, but only one finished swimbait rod the 796SB. I have one and they are very, very light as advertised (the carbon fiber handles do help in that). Makes a great topwater rod for walking baits, otherwise great for smaller glides in the 1-4oz range.

I think that build you have is on their 7117 blank. They don't have a premade build yet on that, BUT I inquired about that and their 7'11" Salmon Bounce Back finished rod (has full carbon fiber rear handle) is built on almost the exact blank.Screenshot_20240226-232315.thumb.png.39edc09a26b38956f41ae67cddc74646.pngScreenshot_20240226-232737.thumb.png.b0cbf6bd92c43bfb3d0b38292ec19f9c.png

19 hours ago, B_larkin3 said:

Sounds like a pretty sweet rod. you try throwing a 250 on it?

I don’t own a 250 but the Hoog 10” is 5.8 oz and the rod handles it easily. The Deps weighs 6 and I’d have no problems throwing it on the Nameless 711

3 hours ago, Morph808 said:

He's now building them using Stryker Rod blanks from Oregon. They used to be Rogue Rods but under new ownership - Nate Langelo is the owner. Their website sells production rods from the shop, but only one finished swimbait rod the 796SB. I have one and they are very, very light as advertised (the carbon fiber handles do help in that). Makes a great topwater rod for walking baits, otherwise great for smaller glides in the 1-4oz range.

I think that build you have is on their 7117 blank. They don't have a premade build yet on that, BUT I inquired about that and their 7'11" Salmon Bounce Back finished rod (has full carbon fiber rear handle) is built on almost the exact blank.Screenshot_20240226-232315.thumb.png.39edc09a26b38956f41ae67cddc74646.pngScreenshot_20240226-232737.thumb.png.b0cbf6bd92c43bfb3d0b38292ec19f9c.png

My rod is built on the SB7117.

I’ve had Justin from Nameless Custom Rods build me quite a few rods over the years and the methods he uses to align the blank using the spine as his starting point, guide selection and placement as well as how he builds the handles seems to get “ the most “ out of production blanks - there’s probably several other factors involved in rod building so that’s why I leave it to a professional. 

Rod building is a whole lot more than just buying a blank and putting some guides on it. 

I should have mine mid week next week.  Justin has been super chill and easy to work with on what I wanted.  If the rod is half as good as his customer service I’ll be in good shape!   He just added some pics to his IG of the rod he built for me. It’s the heavy action blacked out rod with the spiral spilt grips. 

https://www.instagram.com/nameless_custom_rods/p/C39D-isLjdp/?img_index=1