Lake fork Matty Wong

20 minutes ago, Habitual_lip_ripper said:

Anyone see the 6.6 he just caught? Looked like a doomrider in the fishes mouth but not 100 percent. 

He caught a 9 on the doomrider yesterday so assuming he’s still throwing it 

3 minutes ago, Mossypumpkin said:

Can’t help but think at those water temps a cranking gill or Tk wouldn’t have smashed. I don’t understand why a glide is literally the only swimbait that guys throw in the elites

It might have to do with risk vs reward. If they throw a cranking Gill like a Snapper or Pizz that's 5" long, it may still attract the 2lb fish they aren't targeting, whereas, a 7 to 9" glide might isolate the larger bite as well as, and this is probably the reason, it's more visible on FFS.

4 minutes ago, Drew03cmc said:

It might have to do with risk vs reward. If they throw a cranking Gill like a Snapper or Pizz that's 5" long, it may still attract the 2lb fish they aren't targeting, whereas, a 7 to 9" glide might isolate the larger bite as well as, and this is probably the reason, it's more visible on FFS.

Makes sense. But I’m thinking in general…..outside of us swimbait weirdos, when someone mentions a swimbait, they’re referring to a glide 99% of the time. Or maybe a small paddletail. Just funny cuz there’s so many scenarios where there’s a better swimbait to throw than a glide. I think two reasons for it. They get a lot of follows and they’re fun to work and watch. Both just come down to people being entertained by them. People fee the need to see fish. That’s why so many people stay on small fish. It’s comforting to being catching, even when those fish aren’t winning fish.  

25 minutes ago, Mossypumpkin said:

Makes sense. But I’m thinking in general…..outside of us swimbait weirdos, when someone mentions a swimbait, they’re referring to a glide 99% of the time. Or maybe a small paddletail. Just funny cuz there’s so many scenarios where there’s a better swimbait to throw than a glide. I think two reasons for it. They get a lot of follows and they’re fun to work and watch. Both just come down to people being entertained by them. People fee the need to see fish. That’s why so many people stay on small fish. It’s comforting to being catching, even when those fish aren’t winning fish.  

That is definitely possible.

1 hour ago, Mossypumpkin said:

Can’t help but think at those water temps a cranking gill or Tk wouldn’t have smashed. I don’t understand why a glide is literally the only swimbait that guys throw in the elites

Kenta Kimura is known to throw the tiny klash on tour

Could be confidence as well. Some guys are more familiar with glides vs. other big baits styles. I can only imagine he has only a little bit of time to experiment with new stuff, but has to then focus and find techniques he can rely on for at least 2 days of tournament fishing.

On 3/2/2024 at 8:19 PM, Mossypumpkin said:

It is prob cuz they don't throw sbs much.  I was pumped to meet Steve Kennedy at a sports show to discuss an elites torney he won with in Caly with a huddleston. He hardly remembered it. I think somebody just handed him one to use and he never threw it again. Weird. 

I think crank downs are an untapped bait that will eventually become a thing in tour. They will see us smashing here with them and get curious. Perhaps now that Caesar is entering the abs game we will see more of it. I think some of the deeper fishing stuff from click bait would be killers on tour as well if guys had the time put in on them. A 10xd isn’t that much smaller than our cranks come on elites get with it!!!

On 3/2/2024 at 7:19 PM, Mossypumpkin said:

For me, on Fork the gill bite happens later. For the early spring, the glide just gets bit better. Once the initial spawn is slowing, that's when my gill baits play more