Metanium better than Tranx?

BullyBee

Hey guys. I own a Tranx 200, 300 and 400. I was just wondering if I should just get a Tranx150 or a metanium to throw spinner baits and swimbaits below 1.5oz. 

im using a Tranx 200 for 1.5 to 3 oz.

Posted (edited)

What makes the bantam so good? You guys aren’t the first to suggest it.

I honestly thought the bantam was just a little better than a curado. But thank you I will look into it.

btw I am fishing for pike 

Edited by BullyBee

4 minutes ago, BullyBee said:

What makes the bantam so good? You guys aren’t the first to suggest it.

I honestly thought the bantam was just a little better than a curado. But thank you I will look into it.

btw I am fishing for pike 

It is a “solid core” design like the metanium and Calcutta conquest meanin g the frame is essentially one solid piece of aluminum with side plates bolted on. Gives it a high level of rigidity so under heavy load gear teeth and shafts stay perfectly in line, gives smoother higher efficiency power output for power fishing styles. I would say the  bantam is closer to a beefed up metanium than a curado. The metanium is for lighter line applications I think you’d have to drop to 10-12# test to spool 100 yds. Bantam is perfect for 15-16# test

I run all Mets for my conventional stuff and I would definitely get one over a tranx. If you wait to sales or order overseas you can get one 20-30% off retail. 

its going to be lighter than the bantam and I believe they have brass gears so you shouldn’t have any issues with power fishing. I’ve never owned a bantam but huge fan of the Metanium. I’ve also owned some of the Steez’s and prefer the Met by far.

if you were doing deep cranking or light swimbait duty that’s probably where the bantam would take precedence but for spinnerbaits you will 100% be happy with the Met. 

IMO, the Bantam either the previous generation or the current is amongst the best designed bait casters ever... I haven't had one issue with any and I have about 30 of them.

It handles heavy duty applications better than any other I have ever tried, I live in Florida: frogging, flipping, punching etc. 50-80lb braid.

It handles straight flouro better than any other reel I have ever tried, worming with 15-20lb test, swimbaits 20lb test, throwing a lipless, throwing a small 1.5 squarebill on 15lb, cranking on 10-12lb.

It handles better than reels that are more expensive such as a metanium, and better than cheaper reels such as a curado as you suggested.

I used to have a mix match of a bunch of different reels and I switched them all to bantams, I still have a couple of Metaniums for Jerkbaiting because of the super light setups but eventually I'll replace those. I have no interest in replacing any of my bantams. I also have some Tranx 300's, Scorpion MD's and Antares MD's for straight "bigger" swimbaiting. But I will still throw smaller swimbaits like a chad shad on a bantam without any hesitation and do so often. I fish my tackle super hard year over year and they keep on kicking unlike any other I have tried.

Oh finally I forgot to add, and I have confirmed and reconfirmed it, they help significantly with sensitivity. because they are a one-piece construction and not a composite material, they transfer sensitivity through your hand much better than others such as a Chronarch.

Edited by Warsaw

I have several of the Bantam MGL 150's. It's an awesome reel. I'd like to see Shimano come out with more of a 175 sized reel just for the increased line capacity when fishing mono or fluoro and the faster line pick up with a larger spool at the end of a long cast. 

As nice as the smaller Shimano reels are, line capacity is a real issue with the 150 reels. Braid isn't always the best line to use. 

9 hours ago, BullyBee said:

I love how the metanium’s look like predator helmets.

Is there a bantam equivalent reel in the 200 size?

No. Youre splitting hairs, end of the day it’s gonna be your personal preference but you’re not gonna figure that out here. buy one and fish it, if you don’t like it sell it and get something by else.

https://fish.shimano.com/en-SG/product/list.html?pcat2=cg2SHIFAseanReelBaitcast&pcat1=cg1SHIFAseanReel&pcat3=&pcat4=&fs=&series=&price_min=&price_max=&page=3

13 hours ago, BullyBee said:

I love how the metanium’s look like predator helmets.

Is there a bantam equivalent reel in the 200 size?

The Antares DC MD I guess. 

I run Metanium 16 MGLs  and can't be happier. No issues with throwing blades , t-rigs, anything I like. Smooth reels. The Bantam MGL is also a great reel. I had a couple of them. I only got rid of them to have more 16s. Can't go wrong with a Bantam or Metanium imho.