A Couple Of Good Ones On The TK - My Breakdown (Long Read)

chang127

What brand and LB test braided line are you using? No leader? Straight braid huh? 

I'm a braid to leader guy for all of my swimbait fishing, so when I see other guys on here posting fish pics with braid, I get very technical and geeky.

13 minutes ago, DEPS_250 said:

What brand and LB test braided line are you using? No leader? Straight braid huh? 

I'm a braid to leader guy for all of my swimbait fishing, so when I see other guys on here posting fish pics with braid, I get very technical and geeky.

Yes, I forgot to mention the line. It's Sufix 832 80lb braid, which is quite overkill for the TK, even the 300MD is pretty excessive for it. However, this is more of an all-around setup that I keep in the car for greater flexibility in fishing various baits & species on the go (bass, striper, & musky once in awhile). The straight braid was purely because I didn't have any other line with me at the time. I typically like to use a short mono or fluorocarbon leader, depending on the lure and presentation. For the TK, I prefer to use 15lb P Line CXX or 15lb Seaguar Abrazx leaders if I aim to fish a little deeper. I have also been known to fish with straight braid when I'm feeling lazy (and have caught fish like that in clear water too). Honestly, I don't really get too technical or scientific with my lines especially if I'm fishing more of a reaction type bait.

On 4/15/2024 at 9:31 PM, chang127 said:

Yes, I forgot to mention the line. It's Sufix 832 80lb braid, which is quite overkill for the TK, even the 300MD is pretty excessive for it. However, this is more of an all-around setup that I keep in the car for greater flexibility in fishing various baits & species on the go (bass, striper, & musky once in awhile). The straight braid was purely because I didn't have any other line with me at the time. I typically like to use a short mono or fluorocarbon leader, depending on the lure and presentation. For the TK, I prefer to use 15lb P Line CXX or 15lb Seaguar Abrazx leaders if I aim to fish a little deeper. I have also been known to fish with straight braid when I'm feeling lazy (and have caught fish like that in clear water too). Honestly, I don't really get too technical or scientific with my lines especially if I'm fishing more of a reaction type bait.

80lb braid does sound pretty heavy/excessive for a 2oz bait. On the other hand, it is a 1 rod 1 reel setup for multispecies fishing, therefore I understand that your trying to cover all of your bases, so you gotta 'make do' with what you got. 

I am currently using 30lb Yozuri Super Braid to a 10-20lb fluorocarbon leader for fishing 1-3oz swimbaits.

The fluorocarbon leader line size depends on the size and weight of the bait and how deep I want to fish the bait. The leader length depends on the depth that I want to fish. 

I have never fished a TK before. I am planning on picking up my first TK pretty soon. Does 30lb braid to a 15-20lb fluorocarbon leader sound like a pretty good setup for fishing a TK? I always downsize my hooks on all of my hardbaits for better action. Would you happen to know the size of the treble hooks that come stock on the TK?  

Thanks for all the info and help. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, DEPS_250 said:

80lb braid does sound pretty heavy/excessive for a 2oz bait. On the other hand, it is a 1 rod 1 reel setup for multispecies fishing, therefore I understand that your trying to cover all of your bases, so you gotta 'make do' with what you got. 

I am currently using 30lb Yozuri Super Braid to a 10-20lb fluorocarbon leader for fishing 1-3oz swimbaits.

The fluorocarbon leader line size depends on the size and weight of the bait and how deep I want to fish the bait. The leader length depends on the depth that I want to fish. 

I have never fished a TK before. I am planning on picking up my first TK pretty soon. Does 30lb braid to a 15-20lb fluorocarbon leader sound like a pretty good setup for fishing a TK? I always downsize my hooks on all of my hardbaits for better action. Would you happen to know the size of the treble hooks that come stock on the TK?  

Thanks for all the info and help. 

I think you would be okay with that 30lb braid for those size baits, but I personally don't go any lower than 50lb braid for any of my setups. When selecting braid, I prioritize the diameter and feel of the line over its strength or visibility. Two critical factors for me are how well the braid casts the baits I intend to use and how it sits on my spool. I've noticed that thinner braided lines tend to dig into the spool a lot more than thicker ones, which can cause backlashes and lead to snap offs. I've learned this from first hand experience, which is why I avoid using anything lighter than 50lb braid. I typically aim to match the diameter of the braid with that of an equivalent monofilament or fluorocarbon line I would use otherwise. For instance, the 80lb braid I use has a diameter of .018 inches, which is the same size as the 20lb PLine CXX leaders I tend to use.

However, I haven't conducted extensive testing with different lines. I've simply found what works for me and have stuck with it. Obviously, there are many variables that could make your experience different from mine, such as your casting style, rod/reel setup, how you like to work your baits, etc. So, use what works best for you!

Edit: Also, I'm not sure what the size of the stock hooks are on the TK but maybe someone can chime in on that.

Edited by chang127