Aches & Pains From Chuckin'

TangledLines

So I tied on the 8" Hudd on for the first time the other day and as I made my first cast, an instant sharp pain and tingling took over both wrists, but more son in my right (I reel right handed). I haven't been throwing the swimbait for too long, but I'm used to throwing out irons and torpedos ranging anywhere from 4-10 oz regularly in the ocean... Is this something that anyone else has experienced before? I'm wondering if it's due to the size of the Hudd, as opposed to the weight of it that might be causing it... Apparently, my casting style is your standard overhand cast... but the pain I experienced kinda has me a lil worried... I'm gonna try and give it a shot again tomorrow on my LDC Heavy and see if the other rod I was using at the time may not be a good match for the 8" Hudd (a Lew's XH umbrella rig rod w/ a moderate taper that I use for inshore). I'd appreciate any input as it's become somewhat of a concern... Thanks y'all.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very rarely ever throw over hand I usually do a side arm throw. I have found it is easier to let the weight of the bait do the work. If you cast side arm with a little upward motion the momentum of the bait will carry it out.

A longer handle will help some, but it is just something that you are going to have to spend some time with and figure our what works for you. But in short, yes... lots of people have random aches and pains from throwing big baits. Particularly new people, and generally directly in the vaginal region haha.

Jeeze this place is turning into a book club :lol:

I reckon you're aging just as fast as the rest of us, Marbles...and if you're not, I want to know the secret...none of the health ads I see on late night TV say anything about miracle drugs for dealing with the aches and pains associated with throwing big baits! :lol:

Jeeze this place is turning into a book club :lol:

I reckon you're aging just as fast as the rest of us, Marbles...and if you're not, I want to know the secret...none of the health ads I see on late night TV say anything about miracle drugs for dealing with the aches and pains associated with throwing big baits! :lol:

:lol:

I carry ibuprofen and Tylenol in the boat when a flare up happens lol.

I recently had the worst back pain i ever had because I fell down lmao, and it didn't stop me from Swimbait fishing.(Yes, wife thought I was crazy) It was hard to net the fish lol that's what going fishing with a buddy is for, my equipment really came together and with casting correctly I didn't not fatigue at all. Gloomis Swimbait rods, 955/956/957, dawia lexa 300, 30 lb pline pf throwing Hudds, deps 250s, 3:16's & dead twitches

I remember first throwing swimbaits on the wrong rods, wrong reels, wrong line and I used to take a beating everything used to hurt! Let the rod do the work for you, let the rod load up and throw it out there. Think of a rubber band / slingshot effect. This ain't overhead senko casting, it does take some practice, let the rod do the work for you and it will save your body. A swimbait cast mechanics is as important as a golf swing.