True Coat Epoxy

Doomlurker

I recently purchased some True Coat Epoxy and I’ve been having some mixed results. It seems to be a little more finicky than the BSI 30 min slow cure I had been using prior. I’m hanging the baits from a spinner and still developing some runs. On the other end, it seems to have the tendency to thin on any carved areas. I’m pretty familiar with using a brush so I don’t believe it’s from me over loading a brush or going too heavy on the application. 

I do divide the suggested amount in equal parts from what he lists as that’s way too much and ends up just being waste. 

Anybody else having any issues or have any tips to offer up?

I've never used that brand of epoxy, but most epoxies tend to pull back or thin out around squared corners and sharp details as it cures.  I'm perplexed by your "Hanging form a spinner", comment.  Maybe a pic of the baits on the spinner could help figure out the "Runs" issue. 

I used Devcon 2 Ton epoxy, and mixed with a 10 grams of A, to 9 grams of B ratio, and just mixed up what I needed for the amount of baits I was clearing. With the D2T, I would mix in a few drops of de-natured alcohol after mixing the epoxy. This would thin the epoxy slightly and I would be able to get a few extra minutes of work time before it started to set up.  The de-natured alcohol would also help dissipate the bubbles generated from mixing.   Hope this helps...

2 hours ago, azfisher said:

I've never used that brand of epoxy, but most epoxies tend to pull back or thin out around squared corners and sharp details as it cures.  I'm perplexed by your "Hanging form a spinner", comment.  Maybe a pic of the baits on the spinner could help figure out the "Runs" issue. 

Maybe I worded it wrong? I dunno, it’s the typical rotisserie motor setup. 

IMG_8713.jpeg

13 hours ago, azfisher said:

That should work well. Maybe a little too much coverage? Just guessing now

I guess. Might just be a learning curve with the different epoxy as I was saying I never had any issues with the BSI 30 min slow cure. 

I was just seeing if anybody else had a similar experience. 

I have some but have yet to use it. I do know it cures differently then traditional epoxies in that is cures from the bait out which apparently helps eliminate bubbles. I’d messaged dude on his IG he’s always been really helpful.

Edited by BigBaitThirty