Need help with Tiny Klash

11 hours ago, Silent Killer said:

I fished it again tonight, the perch one this time... in glide mode with a little weight.  If I put any rod into it whatsoever, the front treble foul hooked my line and the bait spiraled in.  The only way I avoided it was with a slow, steady retrieve.  Quick half turns was a full proof 100% foul hook.

I am starting to wonder if there are any good characteristics about this bait.  Do any of you guys even like it?  I watched Crazybassfisher videos on youtube and maybe bought into some false hype here... :?

I did use a snap.  My past experience with snaps is that they increase the odds of catching the line on a treble.  I think the snap idea is probably poor.  I got some split rings for a last ditch effort to find an efficient way to use the Tiny Trash.  If this doesn't work, I'll gladly trade someone a 100 pk of 5" Senkos for 1 brand new biwasagi TK, 1 never bitten used once perch TK, and one US Sexy Shad that was used and bit once.

It takes putting in time with them to get them to do what you want. K9’s take more input but you’re not going to take it straight out of the box and make it glide the way you want either with out putting in time, since this is your first time using a tk. 

12 hours ago, Silent Killer said:

I am starting to wonder if there are any good characteristics about this bait.  Do any of you guys even like it?  I watched Crazybassfisher videos on youtube and maybe bought into some false hype here... :?

I did use a snap.  My past experience with snaps is that they increase the odds of catching the line on a treble.  I think the snap idea is probably poor.  I got some split rings for a last ditch effort to find an efficient way to use the Tiny Trash. 

Probably a controversial take, but for the longest time, I was cranking the TK with a wide lip and having pretty good success. That was the only way I fished it. Over the last few years, I have also been using it as a jerkbait/ deadwalk bait with a regular lip, V-tail and some added weight.

I'm 50-50 on snaps vs split rings when not cranking it. Mostly care about how it affects buoyancy.

If I want a glide bait, I fish a glide bait. I'm not much good with glide baits though (or with any baits for that matter).

2 hours ago, Mayes said:

It takes putting in time with them to get them to do what you want. K9’s take more input but you’re not going to take it straight out of the box and make it glide the way you want either with out putting in time, since this is your first time using a tk. 

This. It takes time to learn the inputs to make the bait do what you want it to. It’s a very effective bait once you learn how to fish it. Watch some of the videos on it on YouTube and pay attention to reel inputs / rate of retrieve and how they are working the rod. 

14 hours ago, Silent Killer said:

I fished it again tonight, the perch one this time... in glide mode with a little weight.  If I put any rod into it whatsoever, the front treble foul hooked my line and the bait spiraled in.  The only way I avoided it was with a slow, steady retrieve.  Quick half turns was a full proof 100% foul hook.

I did use a snap.  My past experience with snaps is that they increase the odds of catching the line on a treble.  I think the snap idea is probably poor.  I got some split rings for a last ditch effort to find an efficient way to use the Tiny Trash.  If this doesn't work, I'll gladly trade someone a 100 pk of 5" Senkos for 1 brand new biwasagi TK, 1 never bitten used once perch TK, and one US Sexy Shad that was used and bit once.

Hey, check your PMs, but also, keep in mind, a big part of these baits are the versatility. I've caught fish, and good fish, fishing them a bunch of different ways. 

I prefer lip out, mode b and using either yokoyoko or a glide style method, but have supreme confidence dead walking it as well when weighted to suspend like a jerkbait. 

IMG_20240211_184628_268.jpg

Honestly I kind of hate the TK the only way I’ve seen fish eat them is dead walking or cranking. The only advice I have for you is sell all your TK’s and buy a K9. 10x the bait and will catch better class fish

Like people have said, the K9 is easier and quicker to learn the "walk" than the TK. But the TK is still awesome. Sharp crisp twitches ALWAYS make it cut to one side in my experience. But subtle, gentle twitches make it walk. Think of it as walking a small non-popping frog. Find some clear water, and practice. I usually get 3 to 4 twitches before a reel turn when I'm walking the TK. Cheers.

Third time out and I have a good method/mode to fish it finally... a #3 Spro split ring and the wide lip, tail tips down, center peak up.  It had excellent, repeatable action that didn't require extreme precision contortions on my part.  I had a nice piggy female eat it near the bank... now I'm starting to see some promise! 

Whoa! OK, I read back through a pile of the messages... thanks a LOT, dudes!  I am grateful for all the info I have received!!!

I really like the bait with the lip-in, now... mostly the wide lip because it seems to run just a hair under 2 feet deep.  The stock lip runs about 4, maybe 4.5 ft for me.

I will try to fuss with it as a glide someday down the road.  

2 hours ago, Silent Killer said:

Whoa! OK, I read back through a pile of the messages... thanks a LOT, dudes!  I am grateful for all the info I have received!!!

I really like the bait with the lip-in, now... mostly the wide lip because it seems to run just a hair under 2 feet deep.  The stock lip runs about 4, maybe 4.5 ft for me.

I will try to fuss with it as a glide someday down the road.  

Do you have a pic of your wide lip installed on your TK? 

I’m curious because my wide lip runs way deeper than the stock lip. 

It is hard to tell from the pics but the wide lip isn't dead straight.  Since the original lip was installed with the reinforced part forward, I installed the wide lip the same way.  I imagine it would run deeper if you put it in the other way because the bill angle would be steeper than the original lip.  The way I have it installed, it almost looks like a wake bait lip... very steep.  I think the only way it achieves depth is due to the nose-down, tail-up posture of the bait.

It's cool, thumps like a slow-motion chatterbait.  I was bumping a log that was about 2 feet under the surface with it last night.

IMG_20240423_200321245.jpg

IMG_20240423_200305998.jpg

3 hours ago, Silent Killer said:

It is hard to tell from the pics but the wide lip isn't dead straight.  Since the original lip was installed with the reinforced part forward, I installed the wide lip the same way.  I imagine it would run deeper if you put it in the other way because the bill angle would be steeper than the original lip.  The way I have it installed, it almost looks like a wake bait lip... very steep.  I think the only way it achieves depth is due to the nose-down, tail-up posture of the bait.

It's cool, thumps like a slow-motion chatterbait.  I was bumping a log that was about 2 feet under the surface with it last night.

IMG_20240423_200321245.jpg

IMG_20240423_200305998.jpg

Ah, that makes sense now. You have it installed backwards, which turns it into what you described, a wake bait. If you flip it around, it will become a deep diver, but if fishing it as a wake bait works for you, then by all means, stick with it. The cool thing about Klash baits is the variety of ways you can fish them and still catch fish. I've never really fished it wake style much since I prefer to keep it lower in the water column, but I've heard others use it that way and have great success with it too.