Soft bait customization

Chija

Hey everyone. Recently got a 10" biwako shad magdraft because it almost perfectly matches the trout we have out here. 

I'm no believer in color being a huge difference maker in bites, but I'm interested to go the next step further and add trout dots (just to be a little artistic).

Does anyone do this with their softbaits and have any recommendations? I know some guys routinely use sharpies/other markers for trout dots on hardbaits, but I'm guessing that will just smear on softies. If it's a no-go I'll just fish it, but wanted to hear some thoughts first.  Thanks!

Screenshot_20240428_095312_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240428_095432_Photos.jpg

4 minutes ago, RMANZO said:

I use a sharpie on all my soft baits. Hit it w/a torch after you dot it up and you won’t get smears

Great to hear. Just regular old sharpie or paint pens/fineliners? 

Try this: https://www.ispikeit.com/product/564/black-dotting-3022

I have used their regular paint to add color to soft swimbaits (specifically hudds, but should work on others too), but not the dotting colors. I bought some gold dotting a while back, same intent but to imitate brook trouts; haven't got around to using it yet.

I also have some Chartpak pens (look on Ebay/ google it) that I use to paint fins etc.

3 hours ago, maiti said:

Try this: https://www.ispikeit.com/product/564/black-dotting-3022

I have used their regular paint to add color to soft swimbaits (specifically hudds, but should work on others too), but not the dotting colors. I bought some gold dotting a while back, same intent but to imitate brook trouts; haven't got around to using it yet.

I also have some Chartpak pens (look on Ebay/ google it) that I use to paint fins etc.

Thanks for info. That dotting is just the paint by itself right? 

2 hours ago, Chija said:

Thanks for info. That dotting is just the paint by itself right? 

I have bought but not tried the dotting variety yet, like I said. From the description, "SB Coat Dotting Paint is a thicker and more concentrated paint than regular SB Coat Soft Plastic Paint".

3 hours ago, chevro1et said:

Grow Design Works also makes 'color marker' (liquid soft plastic paint in a small nail polish style bottle with brush) in several colors including black. 

Sweet, I'll check that out too.

22 hours ago, Chija said:

J

22 hours ago, Chija said:

Just regular sharpie. The heat locks it in