2023 vs 2018 Antares DC MD

For those out there that have fished both, how does the 2023 version compare to the 2018? I had an ‘18 for a little while and it was impressive for casting but other than that it was a bit underwhelming. I’m used to round reels so it just felt a little too plastic on the side plate. 

Cant say ive fished the older model, but i own a 23, and i think its great, but same here a little underwhelming, i think water got in from fishing in some harder rain a few months ago and one of the bearings is getting a little rough, its weird though it comes and goes lol, eventually ill buy some nice bearings and do a service. None of my local tackle-shops want to touch it either. 

6 hours ago, Riley_22 said:

Cant say ive fished the older model, but i own a 23, and i think its great, but same here a little underwhelming, i think water got in from fishing in some harder rain a few months ago and one of the bearings is getting a little rough, its weird though it comes and goes lol, eventually ill buy some nice bearings and do a service. None of my local tackle-shops want to touch it either. 

Interesting. That sound you speak of is similar to what I had with a 2018. 

1 hour ago, Bass_blaster said:

Interesting. That sound you speak of is similar to what I had with a 2018. 

theres 2 sounds lol, one is just a slight roughness, i can tell its just a simple Bearing, the other is a strange hollow, kind of crackling sound, i think a small grain of sand or dirt made its way in a bearing, thats intermittent too. 

On 4/30/2024 at 9:59 AM, Riley_22 said:

i think water got in from fishing in some harder rain a few months ago

A lot of guys reported this as a huge issue in the '18 version where there isn't any sort of side drain for water to get out. If they didn't fix this with the '23 version then it isn't worth the upgrade.

17 hours ago, Rbalden said:

I like my 23’s over the 18’s

I think they look much better, i fell in love with the reel before i bought it lol. I just wish they were more like  300sz reel than a combo of 200 and 300.