Crankdown Question

Ceaser

I notice alot of guys offering crankdown hardbaits this year and guys are actually buying them to my dismay hahaha. But my question is, why are most them for targeting the 4-6ft range? is that the freaking key depth? And guys are pumped to get baits that dive in that range, like they have been waiting for a bait that dives 4-6ft their whole lives. personally, building customs baits for people over the years ive had alot of people ask for big crankdown baits but can honestly say that no has ever ask for a bait that dives that range. Not saying its not good, but whats up with the other ranges? from just subsurface to over 10ft? oh, that does take more than a slightly longer bill at a steeper angle to do.... anyways, get your crankdown on guys! that 4-6ft range is waiting for you LOL

Savage gear has a 7.5" crank down swimbait that gets down to 9 or 10 feet. I works good for the money but make sure you switch out the hardware.

I also modified a baby wake that cranks down 10-12' and suspends.

on the note of crank downs ceaser do you ever long line troll your crank down baits like don osborn and some of the other oldschool dudes?

No my body of water isnt set up well for that, I have baits that will crankdown all ranges, im trying to put together some smaller 7" protos for members to test soon, with the 7" I can cover all depths and still have them fishable. My 10" can be tough to crankdown beyond 10' without xxh gear.

Dont really longline tho, I can hit all the depths I need to on the cast, with current and scattered weeds theres a lot of varibles that can screw up a presentation like that. Here it works well in utah tho

I would like to see a crank down bait that got to 15-20 ft or more on a long cast.

That would be cool! But not to many crankbaits even make it too that depth unless you use 12lb line...

I have a few old 8" Megabait Charlies that are slow sinkers and they have a cranking bill. They easily get to those depths.

I would like to see a crank down bait that got to 15-20 ft or more on a long cast.

That would be cool! But not to many crankbaits even make it too that depth unless you use 12lb line...

I have a few old 8" Megabait Charlies that are slow sinkers and they have a cranking bill. They easily get to those depths.

Jason weren't those Charlies listed as "suspending baits"? Is there technically a different between a crankdown that cranks down then floats back up and a crank down that cranks down and then suspends at that depth if you quit reeling? I mean I know they're different but i'd imagine suspending baits are more rare?

I've got an old hard swimbait bait (can't remember if its a rago or osprey) that cranks down to the 10-12 ft mark and is really easy to reel. But it is of course impossible to find so once I snag it up and lose it, there's no buying another. The body is tapered a bunch which i think helps it get down easily? that thing slams the bottom like a 8 inch crankbait!