throwing swimbaits in the northeast

Patmurdough

hey everyone, new member here.

I'm just getting acquainted with swimbait fishing, and I'm located in central connecticut, though i also fish mass, vermont, new hampshire, etc.

bought baitcast combo through bass pro shops (this was well before i joined and found out about tacklewarehouse), specs say it can handle up to the 3 oz mark for lures. I purchased a few rago trout softbaits, some savage gear 3d trouts of various sizes, and a few other random pieces of heavy tackle.

i generally fish local lakes and ponds (for largemouth, pike and pickerel, and trout), though I'm very close to the ct river and the annual striper run pretty much goes right by my house.

is anybody else here located in ct or relatively nearby, and if so what experience do you have throwing big swimbaits? any recommendations for lures, locations, etc?

any help or info is appreciated. thanks!

yes, thank you. I've read through most of the "noobs read here first" gear posts, including those concerning rods, reels, etc. i was specifically interested if anyone had info regarding my particular locale. i did searches for "ct" and "connecticut" but the search results yielded little besides the "east coast meet up" thread. after searching "new england" it yielded a few more results so i will read through those as well.

There are a lot of guys from the "Bassachusetts" area that consisently stick big fish on swimbaits. DSouth, UrbanHick come to mind but I know there are a lot of others. Just read through past GotEm posts, you will find some from the Northeast. Doesn't hurt to just thumb through past pages as well, there are a lot of posts with great info hidden back there. Good luck and welcome.

Fishing big swimbaits is going to draw on your fishing knowledge of fishing conventional baits. If the water is 45 degrees and you would normally be catching fish deep with jigs, then toss a Hudd in the same places and fish slow. After the spawn, if you would be catching them on surface spooks or poppers, try switching to a bigger Lunker Punker. Big baits are different but not night-and-day different- you still need to know what and where the bass are in that season, weather, etc. as you would for all baits. You will find that big baits are going to get you some bigger bites and will call the fish from further away than smaller baits.

If you go on the Real Prey website you will find a number of videos Joe shot on the Ct River that will help you gain confidence.

Pretty much every experienced guy on this board recommends starting out on the small side and working up in bait size as you gain confidence. Throw some 168 S-Wavers, 6" hudds, etc on the Ct River and I know you will get bit. And those stripers are up there eating herring that you can imitate with a swimbait better than anything. Just get out on the water and do it. We'll wait for the pictures!

I'm new to this site, tons of reading to do. I live in western ma. I've been throwing a slammer for a coupe years but I'm just starting to get into some of the other swimbaits. I also look forward to the striper run.