trolling

accord98

just wondering what everyones thoughts are on trolling swimbaits as opposed to casting and working the bait in? also what baits do you prefer totroll? i personally cast and work the bait in, but wondered how productive trolling is

I have never trolled Swimbaits for LMB, but I would like to try it. The Old Timers caught a ton of big fish on the Troll. Lol. There is nothing like Casting, but on those days or weeks where you can't buy a bite, why not be able to pull another technique out of the bag of tricks and stick a pig...

If you're kayaking, ALWAYS have a floater or wakebait out behind you. While you're stopped and casting, you have the ultimate deadstick action going on. Be prepared for some big blow ups when you move from spot to spot! :)

I've considered this before but the problems i run into are 1. the ospreys are vicious where i fish, they'll destroy a nice real deal or armageddon given the chance. 2nd problem is if i do end up getting blown up on like that and miss the fish because the rod's not in my hand i wouldn't be able to forgive myself.

I don't know... I don't think trolling is no bueno. If trolling is producing big fish, why wouldn't you do it? A lot of the best big baiters of our time have caught massive 14+ largemouth trolling. Its not like you are using live bait where you don't have to fool the fish, you are using an artificial bait to fool fish into biting. If a tactic gives you an advantage, why not use it?

I have not trolled much because I have not quite learned reading electronics, so I don't know how to find submerged cover...

Hahaha this is a great topic... Need I remind u rocky that we got beat in that tournament by a guy trolling a chatterbait :D:D:oops::roll: Anyways maybe we should try that when I put the boat in, with sb's instead of chatterbaits haha.

I suppose trolling has it's place but Its a bit monotonous... U aren't imparting action, sorta like soaking bait for trout.

And as for fly fishing I think I'm the anti purist... I like throwing 3 inch rat flies and 5 inch streamers for those monster brownies :twisted: though I do enjoy a fish on a bamboo and a size 24 dry too.....

Maybe I just like catching big fish any way I can.

Al,

I couldn't help myself... :mrgreen:

Ben and Spook,

Please give us your reasons for not liking Trolling for Bass. Are you guys becoming purists. Like Fly Fisherman... ;) Lol.

:lol: I can't classify myself as a true bass fisherman although I do enjoy going out and fishing for them. I'm not a fan of trolling period for any type fish so that was my train of thought. I do ocassionally for stripes when moving from spots but it's the most unexciting type of fishing for me personally!! I always feel like I need to be casting so trolling is no bueno for me.

Any fishing is fun in my book Nick. I was just giving Ben and Al a hard time. They earned my respect as Anglers a long time ago. And the Flyfishing reference was all in fun too.

Get bit. It's the best feeling there is.

Haha I know your just kidding... Fishing is fishing and everyone has their own style. I'm pretty sure that anyone on this forum knows that there's a feeling to catching fish that can't really be explained and never gets old.

As for Ben and spooky, I'd be a swimbait purist too with all the monster fish they catch. :lol:

A lot of times when I am throwing a swimbait or anything else for that matter I will throw out a floater behind the boat and let out about 100' of line then more or less forget about it till I hear a fish blast it. It works and just puts another bait in the water that dead sticks then swims real slow then dead sticks again. Kind of like trolling but you are working a bait off the front and slowly moving along on the TM.

Rich