trolling

accord98

Al,

I couldn't help myself... :mrgreen:

Ben and Spook,

Please give us your reasons for not liking Trolling for Bass. Are you guys becoming purists. Like Fly Fisherman... ;) Lol.

Nothing wrong with fly fishermen. Sometimes its what you have to do to catch a fish like this.

photo.jpg

I was just messin around Bass

Trolling is another technique. Two ways I look at it, one is dropping a bait aimlessly and cruising the entire lake, another is strategically setting up and taking a pass at a spot.

I agree with this. There is A LOT of skill to trolling correctly. I don't troll much, but I have seen times where it has out fished casting. Someone that just tosses the bait behind the boat, turns the motor on and goes; there is no skill to that. Guys that know what they're doing and have mastered the technique, have different gear just for it, know when to speed up or slow down the boat, how much line to have out to hit a certain spot; etc. Lots of little things to it! I cast a lot, troll very little; but there is a time and place for it IMO. Weather you like to do it or not; that's a totally different thing.

Arden

I like to troll too. I use my low down 8/6, 400 te, 30 big game, skeeter team boat, hd5, hd7,Panisonic digital cam corder, big 5 net, ........... I even have a video on utube..

Mickey[/quote

So what bait are you using to troll with Mickey? You also did not let us know the model of the video camera and how much line you put out.

Just funnin around seems to be the theme lately.

Rich

Trolling can be extremely effective in some situations, but mostly will leave you annoyed and bored :)

One of largest advantages you have with a trolled swimbait is the extreme distance between you and your bait. On highly pressured clear water lakes it's hard to cast at a fish without it knowing you boat is right there next to it. If you let out 400 feet of line and troll, the fish tend to be less wary.

For it to work you need to have open water fish in relatively clear water, though. It's obviously hard to target shallow water cover trolling, but at the same time you need to be guiding you bait at specific big fish spots. All the good trolling bites I've had were when my bait was bouncing through cover in high percentage areas. Clear water helps, too, so you don't have to get your trolling pass perfect for the fish to see your lure. I only see these conditions a few days a year at best.

You also need to have the right combination of lures and cover, so that your bait gets down to the right depth but doesn't get constantly snagged or covered in weeds.

Trolling requires the right conditions, a certain level of skill, and usually only results in you spending 8 hours trying to un-snag your bait from 400 feet away. But when it all comes together, it is *a lot* of fun!

Nico, you are an uber pimp!! Sounds lame but it is supposed to be a compliment! Would love to continue seeing you post on here. As far as trolling goes, what are the right conditions? Prespawn? Summer? Can't say I've ever really tried it to much, but have thought about it when it is really tough. Sounds like the guys that are succesfull try to hit one key spot like the end of a point or a hump. And a hard bait seems to make sense, but I would guess you might fish a soft bait with your record! Care to elaborate?