Your Life on the Water...

3ills

As some of you up here in Nor Cal probally heard we lost a fellow angler who shares the passion for chasing The Green Girls. I don't know the full details but a boating accident happened and a Life was Lost today in the California Delta due to a malfunction of a LlFE PRESERVER . Just want to say anything can happen on the water...... So please take the time and prepare for safety for yourself and fellow anglers.! Maybe some of you SU members can comment on some precautions of safety ...from fishing on a boat to beating the banks....Today was a wake up call and sad to hear such a tragedy.

3ills aka TripleOG

Head about this also...very sad. We lost a kayak fisherman down here in the San Diego area last month. I think it goes to say that you should always have your life preserver on. I myself don't really wear it in the boat but probably should.

I do a lot of shore fishing also, and that can be dangerous hopping big rocks and even more now when the snakes start coming out. It would be smart for the shore anglers to keep a small first aid kit with them and to read up on what to do if you or a friend get bit by a rattler.

Here is link to an article about the incident:

http://eastcountytoday.net/brentwood-bo ... recovered/

I fish the delta and some channels are shallow and full of obstructions..especially at low tide. Best precaution for the delta is to know the waters you are fishing. Know the shallow sections from the deeper sections. The better you know your waters, the better you are able to navigate safely.

Also, I've seen tournament guys blast around corners and boats clearing 4 feet in the air passing up another boater after hitting their wake...try to be safe out there. Don't rush if you don't need to.

It's sad that his inflatable life vest didn't deloy...Stay safe and tight lines.

He was one of my closest friends. A good fisherman but a great friend and father. I've fished tournaments with him and his partner throughout the years, and they have run that stretch of water hundreds of times, but you never know what can happen. Life is precious, be safe and never take what you have for granted.

Sorry to hear the news. So many times my wife would ask me if I have my life vest when I head out fishing. I don't own an inflatable vest, just the standard. I always wear it if it's windy / wavy out there. I don't have a gas powered boat, just a 10' pram with a foot controlled trolling motor. This is a wake up call for all of us.

He was one of my closest friends. A good fisherman but a great friend and father. I've fished tournaments with him and his partner throughout the years, and they have run that stretch of water hundreds of times, but you never know what can happen. Life is precious, be safe and never take what you have for granted.

Sorry for your lost. You know how the delta gets this time of year its crazy. I use to use an inflatable vest not anymore I just use a life jacket just for insurance. I just past that area today it 5mph under the bridge

I was first to the accident and pulled the boater out of the water between the draw bridge and the dock off the corner house. He was shook up, but only concerned about his missing buddy. We (obviously) couldn't find him because of his malfunctioned life jacket. Please guys, check the dates on your inflatable jackets AND please make sure they are Auto/Manual not just the manual jackets.

Sad to hear. My prayers goes out to the family and friend of the angler.

Saturday was a negative tide and to top it off, it was windy as hell. I was out at Franks Tract Saturday morning and had to leave because it was getting unbearable. Knowing the water is key but that isn't sure proof. My cousin broke the piranha props off about a month ago during a negative tide. And it is an area he fishes constantly. Good thing he kept that on instead of the stainless prop. Just be careful out there.

Not long after I got my pontoon boat, I started wearing a life-vest. Sometimes I wear my inflatable PFD, other times (big water, cold water), I go with the non-inflatable one. Either way, I always wear it because I absolutely do not want to have my wife and kids meet someone at the door with bad news. The note on checking the inflatable vest is a good one - they should be checked annually!

Very tragic indeed. Here's a question for those with inflatable pfd's.

Is there any way to check if the CO2 cartridge is still good or not, or should those just be replaced every certain length of time? and if so, how often?

I only wear a pfd in really rough weather, but on wearing one from now on.

Is there any way to check if the CO2 cartridge is still good or not, or should those just be replaced every certain length of time? and if so, how often?

I just replace mine every Spring. They're not expensive.