Daiwa Lexa 300>

gradycodd

Hey guys, I just wanted to throw this out there, this is not a full review because its finals week and i do not have the time, but i am seeing a lot of posts about whether or not to get the curado or lexa, or "What Swimbait reel should i get" and this reel is just not getting the credit it deserves.

After years of fishing my curado, i thought i would never need a new reel. Here, we were talking about its run as my musky and big game reel, meant to throw nothing lighter than 5 ounces, and pushing a pound and a half lures, as well as cranking in some of the hardest pulling baits on the market. Now this reel worked swell, and held its own, but it just couldn't stan the test of time and the battles it was put through.The reel is great, do not get me wrong, but there is one better, and for a modest 50-70 bucks cheaper.

The lexa was sent to me a little before they were released (homie), i wanted something for throwing big swim baits when i moved to the west coast. When it arrived and i played with it, i thought to myself... swim baits are like 200$ now so I'm not risking something i have no confidence in. So i brought it to minnesota's lake vermillion, where it did more than i could ever ask for with throwing massive 12-18 inch rubber baits, and dragging in those large toothy critters. I was sold, but with the max drag this reel has to offer, i wanted something that pulled a little more drag.

So onto the plane i went, down to Isla Holbox, Mexico, home of one of the largest Tarpon migrations in the world, and gave her a spin. Granted, the 150-200 pound tarpon had no trouble spooling this reel in a matter of minutes, but this happened only twice, and really... isn't that pretty understandable? (it would be if you saw conventional tarpon gear)

The Daiwa Lexa boated a total of 7 tarpon from 50- 130 lbs, and one pushing 150-160 after 2 and a half hours. Spooled with 50 lb power pro and paired with my gloomis gl3 7'6 heavy casting rod, i was using very very light tackle for one of the hardest fighting fish I have ever witnessed.

In the end, I have been throwing my big baits out here with plenty of confidence, and have yet to experience any problem with this reel, which is still unbelievable to me when i remember all the hell I've put her through!

To everybody questioning your decision making, I'm a dink to this site, not to fishing... I give you my word, these things are certified Bad-a$$ and I'm giving it a 10/10, I'm one happy customer.

Here are some links to some footage of these tarpon, and the lexa's screaming drag!