San Diego big bait spots

30lbbg2299

Hey boys,

First post on the underground and read a bunch of the super helpful beginners tips as I am a newer guy to swim baiting. I have caught bass both saltwater and fresh on the smaller soft baits like big hammers but want to start getting the bigger boys on the bigger baits 6 inches and over. Got my first on a river 2 sea s-waver and right away wanted to get into it more. I live in SD and was wondering what the main swimbaits places if there are any in San Diego county area. Is there truly any places that I should target above all others or should I just start out at any lake and put in work there till it pays off?

Anything helps and my setup is a Cardiff 400a on a 7"11 guide select xh

Thanks Ben

welcome to the forum Ben...no one is going to just tell you where to fish swimbaits

fish some lakes, give the swimbaits a try

For sure I'm not looking for anyone's secret holes I just any to know where to get started so I'm not fishing the worst possible lake for it. How about miramar?

I'll be nice :) morena around the rock structure, El cap can be good and slow at times, Murray is an amazing place. I personally havent fished miramar but 25% of the top 20 largest largemouth bass (that were reported) have been caught there. Says something. Anyways, Have fun, don't forget to match the hatch my brotha. Maybe i'll see you out there one of these days

there are very few lakes in that county that don't produce big bass. there's no secret lake, start with the ones closest to you and see how you do... heavy pressures on those waters and swimbaits are by no means rare in san diego.

There's still big bass in sd county?! Morena's half empty. Gilbert's gotten the southern lakes locked down. Murray's tiny and gets pounded. El cap's the hot lake and you won't believe how many boats you'll see in the parking lot on a weekday even tho its a numbers lake more than anything else. Only saberons catch bass out of miramar. And then those are the other fringe lakes.

Its tough going here, but you've got those kelp forests and the chance of hammering makos and threshers on big baits and that helps ease the pain of battling over prime spots in those tiny lakes.

there are very few lakes in that county that don't produce big bass. there's no secret lake, start with the ones closest to you and see how you do... heavy pressures on those waters and swimbaits are by no means rare in san diego.

absolutely true. all lakes have big fish and people throw swimbaits at literally every single lake. i moved here a year ago and its tough down here. lots of big fish and lakes with trout plants but TONS of pressure. if you are just starting out, I would recommend hanging out at tackle shops and just listening to guys who are willing to talk about swimbaiting. if you stick with it though, you'll be rewarded.

Just do like some of the others do that have trouble. Find a guy who does well, follow him and you can catch what he does. Then you can call it "skills"

:lol::lol: or while I drinking my coffee the other morning and looking for a fishing program I saw this infomercial about I think it was called the "Mighty Bait" which looks like a swimbait (what size?), but they guaranteed you'd catch more fish or your money back :lol::lol:

It's funny, but if it was a good bait it wouldn't need a infomercial :!: