Noob intro

Vanilla Gorilla

Hey y'all my name is Jason and I'm a noob. I'm 29 years old and I have been fishing with my grandfather since I was 5 but within the last year I have decided to get serious about it and start fishing in local tournaments. Throwing big swimbaits and possibly catching the fish of a lifetime is something that has always interested me. Recently I saw a mojo bass 7'9" heavy rod with a curado 300e for sale on craigslist and I decided to finally pull the trigger. Now I have my first big swimbait rod, ok maybe not "big" but up to 4oz. I still have yet to buy my first swimbait but I'm thinking a trip to bass pro should solve that. I look forward to learning as much as I can from all of you and the possibility of catching a monster.

My advice scrap the idea of going to bass pro. Save your money and get a couple of these proven-affordable fish catchers to get started.

Hard Baits:

MS Slammer

7" or 8" triple Trout

Soft baits:

6" Huddleston ROF 12

6" 3:16 Rising Son

Welcome to the forum!

My advice scrap the idea of going to bass pro. Save your money and get a couple of these proven-affordable fish catchers to get started.

Hard Baits:

MS Slammer

7" or 8" triple Trout

Soft baits:

6" Huddleston ROF 12

Welcome to the forum!

+1. You won't find anything good a BPS except Spro BBZs.

Buy the bare minimum that you think you need to attack the type of water that you'll be fishing, then put your money away and fish.

It seems like too many people get wrapped up in the hype and buy a ton of baits thinking that they're going to catch a bunch of fish on all these lures but they don't take the time to learn each one. You can't possibly learn every nuance of a lure and how to fish it if you only fish with it for a couple of hours and then tie on another.

Buy what you need and fish the hell out of 'em. Your wallet and your livewell will be greener. I promise.

Hard Baits:

MS Slammer

7" or 8" triple Trout

Soft baits:

6" Huddleston ROF 12

Welcome to the forum!

i agree thats probably the best list for starting and catching fish

And as always a good way to get a lot of knowledge fast on throwing the swimbait, is to go to tackle warehouse through the forum banner and purchase a copy of southern trout eaters. There is a ton of good information on there.

Lots of that info sounds really familiar doesn't it Jason! LOL

Don't worry about buying Southern Trout Eaters and Big Bass Dreams Vol 1. I have both of them and you're more than welcome to borrow them. I can even bring them to the DKBS tourney this weekend if you're interested in watching them. They're both pretty sweet videos with some stud fish being caught!

Glad to see you got the registration deal figured out on here. Lots of good big bait fishermen on this site as well as some great big bait makers!

Welcome aboard Jason. Lots of good advice from the members here. When I first got serious about throwin the big swimbaits, I bought quite a bit of stuff. Over the last year and a half, I've slowly gotten confidence in about 5 of those lures. 1. SLAMMER, 2. Hard Gill, 3. HUDD 68, 4. S-Waver 200, 5. Roman Trick....Do yourself a favor, take two lures out at a time, and, get to know them well. In time you'll settle on your favorites.

Welcome to the site. Like everybody has said, there is lots of good info around here. You just have to dig for it. Another good bait to check out is the hudd 68 special. When I first started fishing the big baits, I left everything else at home and only fished with one bait...that way you aren't tempted to switch back to conventional gear just to get a bite.

Hey y'all my name is Jason and I'm a noob. I'm 29 years old and I have been fishing with my grandfather since I was 5 but within the last year I have decided to get serious about it and start fishing in local tournaments. Throwing big swimbaits and possibly catching the fish of a lifetime is something that has always interested me. Recently I saw a mojo bass 7'9" heavy rod with a curado 300e for sale on craigslist and I decided to finally pull the trigger. Now I have my first big swimbait rod, ok maybe not "big" but up to 4oz. I still have yet to buy my first swimbait but I'm thinking a trip to bass pro should solve that. I look forward to learning as much as I can from all of you and the possibility of catching a monster.

I have the same pole and I throw hudds with ease... Be careful because I have lost a few getting careless with my casts

Most importantly, welcome aboard