Shimano Calcutta 400 TE vs. Conquest

Fishing434

Did some searching on this topic, but didn't really answer my questions... I own 2 Calcutta 401TE's and love em, Ive had them for over 4 years, I'm piecing together another setup and was a little curious if I find an old faithful or venture onto something new...

1. Wondering if anyone has used both the new Conquest and the 400 TE, which one do you prefer? what are the positives and negatives? is the Conquest really that much better than the old TE's?

2. The new conquest is smaller and looks more comfortable, but can only hold 12/110 for the 200 series? I see there are 400 models on ebay, but ridiculously priced and I cant find the specs, anyone got a good site that goes into detail on these new reels and the models/sizes offered? Shimano website didn't offer much as they only cover up to the 200 series.

3. when are the Conquests supposed to be released, I see on TW they are mid Sept. for 200 models??? Wondering if this was accurate and when 400 models would be released?

thanks guys, any info is appreciated

SM

Hi I can't comment on how a the Conquest compares to a TE as I only have a current/old Conquest 401. It is a great swimbait reel as long as you aren't trying to use it with anything too small. (Sub 2oz). The non disengaging level wind really slows down light baits too much.

The new 2014 Conquest 300/400 sizes are currently just a rumour and haven't yet been released in Japan. If they do appear the first ones available will likely find their way to Japanese retailers around March 2015. I do have a new Conquest 101 (for crankbaits) and it is an exceptional reel. The larger versions are likely going to be worth the wait in my opinion. I plan to order one as soon as they show up in Japan as long as they have lefties and don't make any huge changes beyond capacity.

Good luck with you decision.

Yea, the larger 300/400 sized reels won't be out until 2015 some time.

Differences between the 400TE and the Conquest 400...

Handle, drag star, tension cap are different, both nicer on the Conquest.

Drag star and Tension click on Conquest

Bearings under knobs on Conquest

Porting in the side plate and top of the Conquest

Other than that, nothing different. The Conquest feels like a nicer reel. The manufacturing tolerances may be a bit tighter, no way for me to measure that, but it does feel smoother. Bearings under the knobs help too.

As far as price vs. performance goes, you'd have to decide on that. I wouldn't pay $150-$200 more for a Conquest 400 than a 400TE. But stock has dried up of both reels, and the best price I'd seen for a brand new Conquest 400 was about $420, probably a year ago or more.

Awesome guys, good stuff here, thanks a lot, i appeciate it... migth just keep my eye out on a Calcutta 401TE and see if i can get a gently used one and maybe pick up a nw 401 Conquest next year!

SM

Good Point Jerry, i havnt looked into the D model as much as I've always figured the TE was the highest performance model? thanks! Clearly I have some more research to do to see what will work best with what i like to throw and the rod im going to choose

I played with a buddy's "D" on a fishing trip in april... wait... did I just say that? lol

The D is very smooth. It almost reminds me of a pluton the way that it feels. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I was in the market for another shimano.

That being said, I prefer the Luna and CV-Z 300.

I played with a buddy's "D" on a fishing trip in april... wait... did I just say that? lol

The D is very smooth.

:shock: Sometimes I wonder if you guys are really talking fishing. I know how you all seem to just love that mandingo , "D" or whatever you want to call it. LMAO!

The D is nice for sure. But at its MSRP, I'm not a big fan. I have a 401D, and I like it fine. It is definitely smooth, thanks to the two bearings on the pinion gear. It casts fine, but to me it's a little quirky.

I run 3 brakes on that reel, which I've never had to or wanted to do with any Shimano. I can get away with running two, but its a little easier to backlash at the beginning of the cast if you're not paying attention. Once I got used to the slight differences, it was no problem.

Also, I don't think it's any more comfortable to hold than the TE. I do like the longer handle though.