Full moon

kevinbarnosky

Is it better? Maybe, maybe not? Not something I'm really paying attention to. If I have a day or night open to fish I'm going regardless of moon phase, barometric pressure, planetary alignment, etc

Yep.

I fish at night about 30% of the time I fish and I really haven't noticed a difference in the bite one way or the other. I know some will swear by the moon phase but personally I believe the fish bite in cycles throughout the day. One of my main night fishing haunts the fish bite just at sunset for about an hr and then again about 2:00am and again for the hr before sunrise until about an hr after; regardless of the moon phase. I do like to fish a full moon only because if the sky is clear I can see better. Yes the bite can change and does but on a consistent basis this is what I've seen. To me the thing that has the most positive or negative impact on the bite is water quality. Is it clear or muddy or slightly stained etc......

Like anything, it all depends on the lake, the water conditions, the weather, what type of baits you like to use, your skill....

You might be a lot more efficient fishing at night during a bright moon because of the increased visibility. Fish can get shallower on dark nights, but if you can't cast accurately in the dark or shine too much light around then you may might not have a good night. Clear water and a full moon can definitely put fish in the shadows too, giving you a target or pattern to run. You just have to go out and figure it out for yourself, bottom line. Fish when you can..

It’s better for when fishing alone from shore. :mrgreen:

:lol: you must be like me..hate it when dudes walk down the bank with lights on and think fish ant see them...

People dont realize ...how well the fish can sense you..ive spooked plenty of fish on night with low illumination

When there's less natural light, it is easier to locate the bass around dock/street lights, etc. Sometimes a full moon and clear skies spreads the fish out making them harder to locate. On the other hand, if the full moon brings a lot of bream or shad to spawn or coincides with a good mayfly hatch that concentrates the bait fish shallow the full moon night bite can be great. In other words, there are bigger factors, but it has some effect.

I am with the new moon opinion regarding fish 5 plus pounds. Also tangling with fish(Bass) in the 10 pound class. Why? Clear water. Over the years, I have read in magazines, forums, articles on the net and experience as well. Clear water: fish the new moon. Murky water: fish the full moon. So I figure, during the summer months with limited rainy days, fish the new moon. Most fish were I live love deep water channels. But during moon phases, a few giants come shallow looking for other fish to eat, as opposed to the shad. Early(sunrise) and late(sunset).

It’s better for when fishing alone from shore. :mrgreen:

:lol: you must be like me..hate it when dudes walk down the bank with lights on and think fish ant see them...

People dont realize ...how well the fish can sense you..ive spooked plenty of fish on night with low illumination

+1

From my experience, the darker the night the better.

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing this back up. Been fishing a newer lake that is somewhat clear from shore lately. Hit it last month at full moon and stuck a bunch of fish...one going 5lbs and lost one MUCH bigger. Seems to be, for me, that the night bite is wayyy better near full moon. Also noticed it was pretty windy that night. Lately, near new moon, I havnt done much at all. 3 or 4 bites in a few hours. I will also say, tho...its not been a good night bite all summer. Last summer was so much better...

The three true giant bass I've caught in my lifetime were all caught on crescent moons with just a little sliver of light, so very close to new moon phase ... two big ones at moon rise and one big one at moon set. But I've caught good ones and been skunked plenty of times on every freaking phase there is. The confidence key for me is rise and set.