Hinkle vs. ABT

thedonnguyen

im not taking sides here, I am just a bass guy that loves to throw big baits :D:D the problem is,,,,,,every big bait is too expensive, or the makers put out a run a couple times a year and by the time "normal people", like myself, hear about it, the maker has already sold him too his buddies, flippers, and then I have to go on a waiting list that never happens..i have been waiting a couple years for a couple of the big baits and I just want to fkn fish!!!!! so,,,,,,my choices have been to either,, 1) play the game w/the makers that come out of the closet to make baits once or twice a year(which hasn't happened for me yet).... or,, 2) pay double the price on flea bay...,or 3) hope and prey someone comes out w/a big bait I can actually afford and not piss the wife off when I buy it..most importantly a bait, "THAT A GUY LIKE ME CAN ACTUALLY ORDER AT ANY TIME"!!! also, there are enough differences in the baits that "legally" it is what it is....I don't think you would have a copy cat case.....just my opinion.....either way, I will be ordering an abt and putting it to use.....my friend who got one said, "THEY R SIIIIICK" :P:P:P

Holy crap. Are you dumb, deaf, or blind? Serious question. Didn't someone say the ABT would be $175? That's exactly what Andrew charged. Couldn't get on the list? You mean either you don't know how to use email or you are a doucher who he didn't want to sell baits to? I'm not speaking for him, but it seems like you made no effort to get a bait. Everyone I know has one except me, and it's because I politely declined his offer to get on the list due to funding. You don't need to be superman to get baits. It is not changed enough to be legal, it is AN EXACT COPY, MOLDED OFF OF HIS BAIT. That is WRONG.

after making this unbiased statement on what I felt about this, "swimbaitsatlmv" slammed me and said I was dumb,deaf,blind and a doucher..so I stayed out of it..well, i'm back :):) I got my "ABT 12" GLIDE yesterday and had my buddy come over w/his hinckle...all I can say is "WOW"!!!! all of you guys who slammed abt, I need to ask a "REAL" question:::: have you held the abt?? have you seen it swim?? do you own a hinckle??? if your answer to all of these is "yes", and you don't feel like you owe the guy an apology, then as "swimbaitsatlmv" stated in his post,"you are dumb,blind, and a doucher(whatever in the funk that is) :roll::roll: seriously though,,after holding both of th baits in my hand,there are some similiarities in the baits, but in no way is this a "MOLDED COPY"...a glide bait is a glide bait..what does everyone seem to think that a crank bait is a crankbait, a buzz is a buzz,a a-rig is a rig, etc, but when it comes to someone making a swimbait,"EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT"??? I am new to this forum, but I am not new to the bass fishing world....drama like this is funked up to say the least..to blast a guy just cuz one garage bait maker got wind that a "COPY" of his bait is being made, just isn't right..until you hold both baits and see the diference in the swim, how can you jump on this bashing ban wagon. some of the assassins on this post,syated they don't even own a hinckle.."WELL THEN HOW THE FUNK DO YOU KNOW"??? and "NONE OF THE ASSASSINS ON HERE, HAVE A ABT TO COMPARE IT TO", so I ask again, "HOW THE FUNK DO YOU KNOW"??? answer is, me being a "doucher" and all,"YOU DONT FUNKIN KNOW"!!!!! are you making the decision off of the pics you have seen??? you can see in those, the hinkle is a "TALLER and "BIGGER" bait...I will say, the scales are the same!!! but,so what, you have glides with no scales, and now there are glides with scales..and come on "SCALES ARE SCALES".....IF THERE IS ANOTHER WAY TO HAVE SCALES ON YOUR BAIT, AND YOU WANT THE CALES TO LOOK LIKE "SCALES", YOU SHOULD PATTEN IT :lol::lol: since I live on don pedro, we walked to my back yard and took the baits to the lake...."B-I-G DIFFERENCE"...THEY ARE TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT SWIMS!!!! so in short, :P:P , all I care about is my health, wife, daughter, and being able to sling the big bait, and enjoy the awesome resource we have(we need rain bad up here), this kind of "assassination" based upon assumption, is too bad this is what pursuing a passion has come down to :(:(:(:(

ps.....I now one thing, I now own an incredible swimming 12" glide, and I didn't even have to get on a waiting list (not yet) :cry::cry:

im not taking sides here, I am just a bass guy that loves to throw big baits :D:D the problem is,,,,,,every big bait is too expensive, or the makers put out a run a couple times a year and by the time "normal people", like myself, hear about it, the maker has already sold him too his buddies, flippers, and then I have to go on a waiting list that never happens..i have been waiting a couple years for a couple of the big baits and I just want to fkn fish!!!!! so,,,,,,my choices have been to either,, 1) play the game w/the makers that come out of the closet to make baits once or twice a year(which hasn't happened for me yet).... or,, 2) pay double the price on flea bay...,or 3) hope and prey someone comes out w/a big bait I can actually afford and not piss the wife off when I buy it..most importantly a bait, "THAT A GUY LIKE ME CAN ACTUALLY ORDER AT ANY TIME"!!! also, there are enough differences in the baits that "legally" it is what it is....I don't think you would have a copy cat case.....just my opinion.....either way, I will be ordering an abt and putting it to use.....my friend who got one said, "THEY R SIIIIICK" :P:P:P

Holy crap. Are you dumb, deaf, or blind? Serious question. Didn't someone say the ABT would be $175? That's exactly what Andrew charged. Couldn't get on the list? You mean either you don't know how to use email or you are a doucher who he didn't want to sell baits to? I'm not speaking for him, but it seems like you made no effort to get a bait. Everyone I know has one except me, and it's because I politely declined his offer to get on the list due to funding. You don't need to be superman to get baits. It is not changed enough to be legal, it is AN EXACT COPY, MOLDED OFF OF HIS BAIT. That is WRONG.

after making this unbiased statement on what I felt about this, "swimbaitsatlmv" slammed me and said I was dumb,deaf,blind and a doucher..so I stayed out of it..well, i'm back :):) I got my "ABT 12" GLIDE yesterday and had my buddy come over w/his hinckle...all I can say is "WOW"!!!! all of you guys who slammed abt, I need to ask a "REAL" question:::: have you held the abt?? have you seen it swim?? do you own a hinckle??? if your answer to all of these is "yes", and you don't feel like you owe the guy an apology, then as "swimbaitsatlmv" stated in his post,"you are dumb,blind, and a doucher(whatever in the funk that is) :roll::roll: seriously though,,after holding both of th baits in my hand,there are some similiarities in the baits, but in no way is this a "MOLDED COPY"...a glide bait is a glide bait..what does everyone seem to think that a crank bait is a crankbait, a buzz is a buzz,a a-rig is a rig, etc, but when it comes to someone making a swimbait,"EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT"??? I am new to this forum, but I am not new to the bass fishing world....drama like this is funked up to say the least..to blast a guy just cuz one garage bait maker got wind that a "COPY" of his bait is being made, just isn't right..until you hold both baits and see the diference in the swim, how can you jump on this bashing ban wagon. some of the assassins on this post,syated they don't even own a hinckle.."WELL THEN HOW THE FUNK DO YOU KNOW"??? and "NONE OF THE ASSASSINS ON HERE, HAVE A ABT TO COMPARE IT TO", so I ask again, "HOW THE FUNK DO YOU KNOW"??? answer is, me being a "doucher" and all,"YOU DONT FUNKIN KNOW"!!!!! are you making the decision off of the pics you have seen??? you can see in those, the hinkle is a "TALLER and "BIGGER" bait...I will say, the scales are the same!!! but,so what, you have glides with no scales, and now there are glides with scales..and come on "SCALES ARE SCALES".....IF THERE IS ANOTHER WAY TO HAVE SCALES ON YOUR BAIT, AND YOU WANT THE CALES TO LOOK LIKE "SCALES", YOU SHOULD PATTEN IT :lol::lol: since I live on don pedro, we walked to my back yard and took the baits to the lake...."B-I-G DIFFERENCE"...THEY ARE TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT SWIMS!!!! so in short, :P:P , all I care about is my health, wife, daughter, and being able to sling the big bait, and enjoy the awesome resource we have(we need rain bad up here), this kind of "assassination" based upon assumption, is too bad this is what pursuing a passion has come down to :(:(:(:(

ps.....I now one thing, I now own an incredible swimming 12" glide, and I didn't even have to get on a waiting list (not yet) :cry::cry:

I feel like I lost brain cells just reading this.. I'm not sure you understand the concept of quotation marks.

Im no rago fan but people use the bbz all the time. Thats their choice. That doesnt make what semen tell did right. Of course the abt swims different, its an inch longer and made by abt. I thought all alan did was have his knock offs made in china, he musta bought an alumilite starter kit and tried it himself. Dudes a theif plain and simple.

@rmanzo

Of course they swim differently... The Abt has an inch added to it. A 6 ft dude is going to have a different running stride compared to a midget's running stride. If Andrew were to make a 12 inch version of the bait, they would be indentical in action. Do you not understand that each scale was HAND CRAVED into a piece of wood. Which means the only way to have the exact scale pattern is to mold a replica. It doesn't matter if there are minor adjustments in length or height because the rest of the details are exact copies.

A couple of people have mentioned that perhaps the Punker could be considered a rip-off of the Zara Spook. A little tackle history: in 1913 the Shakespeare company came out with the Albany Floating Bait which was a very early walk-the-dog bait. At 6 inches it came with 5 treble hooks and must have been an experience trying to lip a bass with that hanging from its mouth. In 1922 James Heddon introduced the Zaragossa (became the Zara Spook when they switched to plastic). This had a more tapered body ant the larger head made it walk better as did the reduction down to 2 trebles. In 1927 Creek Chub came out with the Sarasota which had a very similar body to the Zaragossa but the line tie was moved above the nose for a different action and the belly hook was replaced by 2 side trebles for better hooking. My point here is that the walk-the-dog basic design is at least 100 years old. I don't think most anglers or most bait makers mind if someone takes a basic design and improves on it. Thats what the above companies did a century ago and what Jeremy did with the Punker. None of them are rip-offs; they are attempts to make the basic design better. There are lots of Japanese baits with more subtle walking actions (Dairitsu Balsa Pro,etc) that I would also not consider a rip off.

However when you get someone (ABT) making an exact copy of every freaking scale it is entirely something different - that is just unethical in my view and I'm sure most SU members are going to agree. Maybe we can exert some pressure on resellers of the ABT products if enough of us complain about his outright stealing of the Hinkle design. I've been bass fishing for pretty close to 50 years which must make me one of the older guys on SU. So far this year I've landed 29 New England bass of 5# or better. One on a lipless crank, one on a frog, one on a small swimjig, and the other 26 ALL came on swimbaits. So believe me, I am grateful to the guys like Matt, Mike Shaw, Jeremy, Andrew, Jerry, Randall, Clayton, and all the other small guys who put so much of themselves into their baits. Without them I'd still be throwing small stuff and not having anywhere near the amount of fun I'm having.

Sorry if I'm ranting but I needed to get this off my chest.

So if the scales were different would this be as big of deal? It sounds to me that if he hadn't molded it to get the scales no one would be this upset. I agree that people should not steal each others work and that is what he has done with copying the scales (according to the pictures). But if the bait is a different size, shape and different fins, i wonder if he had just made a different scale pattern this would have been acceptable.

I do not own a hinkle or an ABT. Just a question to add to the discussion :)

So if the scales were different would this be as big of deal? It sounds to me that if he hadn't molded it to get the scales no one would be this upset. I agree that people should not steal each others work and that is what he has done with copying the scales (according to the pictures). But if the bait is a different size, shape and different fins, i wonder if he had just made a different scale pattern this would have been acceptable.

He didn't "just mold it to get the scales." The bait is dead on Hinkle through and through. He molded it because he was too lazy to try to make his own bait. The fins are similar because Hinkle uses plastic fins and ABT is far too cheap for that, it's shape and size are essentially the same too, that has been discussed already about adding an inch.

RMANZO, not only are you deaf, dumb, and blind, you are also apparently incapable of seeing through those thick glasses ABT gave you with your POS bait. If you are still going to try and say they are different, I suggest leaving as you will not enjoy your stay here very much. Not to mention everything you post sounds like an illiterate informercial.

He didn't "just mold it to get the scales." The bait is dead on Hinkle through and through. He molded it because he was too lazy to try to make his own bait. The fins are similar because Hinkle uses plastic fins and ABT is far too cheap for that, it's shape and size are essentially the same too, that has been discussed already about adding an inch.

Was just adding to the discussion. Didn't realize the shape and size are the same as the picture makes it look different and someone said that they are different in size and shape. I believe we are on the same page that ABT should NOT have made this bait.

RMANZO, not only are you deaf, dumb, and blind, you are also apparently incapable of seeing through those thick glasses ABT gave you with your POS bait. If you are still going to try and say they are different, I suggest leaving as you will not enjoy your stay here very much. Not to mention everything you post sounds like an illiterate informercial.

+1

Did ABT purportedly rip off Hinkle on all of the Suicide Glide sizes or just the largest? By that I mean are the 7" and 9" baits molded off a pre-existing bait from Hinkle, or is it just the largest size? Just curious. I ordered a 7" Suicide Glide way before I heard about this issue, and now I feel bad about supporting ABT in any way. I suppose I'll feel a little better if the 7" bait is at least not complete rip off. Not a whole lot better, just a little.