ABT Suicide Glide

CarolinaBoy4life

That ABT is clearly a different version then what has been posted before. Look at the pics in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19065&hilit=hinkle+abt

The new version looks much less like a Hinkle then the version they first showed. This current version is using a special scale rolling tool. In order to get good results with that tool the sides need to be flat. The previous version had hand carved scales. I am not sure if they made other changes also. If they would have just carved their own to begin with they could have avoided all the bad press. The new version in Don's pics no longer looks like a direct copy. They should have just done this to begin with.

Bottom line is they copied the scales at minimum. The scales matched exactly scale for scale. On facebook they sent out all the women of ABT to argue and lie instead of the man who claims to be a "master lure designer". :lol: Common cowardly move in todays society. In short Allen Borden "Buccaed" it. Sent other people to lie for and defend him instead of owning up to it himself. He was caught redhanded and acted like a coward in my opinion. I have no respect for those kind of people as you might guess and I sure wouldn't trust anything they made to the type of fish I want to catch. I do buy baits from other companies but the list is getting shorter and shorter. I don't trust any of their prostaffers or companies that share their prostaffers. I stopped doing business with anybody who supports ABT or shares their prostaff are friends with their prostaff or promotes the company in anyway. I have no need to look at the baits side by side. I saw the scales matching exactly and the way the company responded to it. Asked them about it myself. No need to waste more time on the subject for me I just add them to the long list of people and companies not worth my time or money.

What get's to me the most is how people react towards other people about a bait that neither of them produced or had any type of connection with other than fishing that specific bait or its competitor. If you want to dislike the company fine understandable. If you want to bash the man who made the bait's well that's your decision. But people jump all over each other over opinion is crazy.

Just like adding an inch in length, it's not too hard to add a fraction of an inch in width to not make it look like a direct copy. Fact is, whether the bait was modified after molding or not, ABT directly molded my bait. You can't dispute that.

From the pics that Don posted it is clear the "version 2.0" of this bait has been changed, probably due to all the well-deserved bad press ABT has received. It is not the same bait that caused the uproar. The surface pattern that was an exact copy of Andrew's hand-carved bait has been replaced with a generic scale pattern. If Raj21 was only seeing the new version, I can see how he would say they are different baits and if I offended him, I apologize. Again that is based on Raj21 seeing only the new version and in no way excuses ABT's unethical "borrowing" of Hinkle's hand carved finish on the original version.

There have been 2 threads on this subject that have resulted in many pages of posts so there clearly are strong feelings in both directions. Perhaps I'm sensitive to this because for years I owned a company that produced custom products based on our own research & development. On a couple of occasions our work was "borrowed" in an unethical manner by someone so I think I understand how Andrew must feel.

I can appreciate how much time and effort goes into the craft and art of making baits by some of the smaller guys. They actually might be able to make more money with a part-time job pumping gas or flipping burgers, but they put their heart into making custom baits, and we are the guys who benefit from their work. To me it is a no-brainer to only support those guys who operate in an honorable manner. Everyone needs to make their own choice.