New type of fishing line about to be released: Hemp Line

nickh87

It says it is made from HMPE. I believe this stands for High Molecular-weight PolyEthylene. Usually they refer to it as HMWPE in industry. It is what braid is made from. Perhaps this is a single filament rather than braided. Hemp is something different.

High Modulus PolyEthylene. HMWPE, UHMPE, etc.

Sounds to me like it's just one strand of dyneema fiber rather than a braid of bundles of really thin fiber. Always wondered why this hadn't been done before. I assumed it wasn't possible yet.

The problem with single strand dyneema is that when you put tension on it, it is suuuuper easy to cut. Now, I'm not sure exactly how much tension a largemouth or striper can put on it but my experience with building bowstring would lead me away from it until It is proven.

High Modulus PolyEthylene. HMWPE, UHMPE, etc.

Sounds to me like it's just one strand of dyneema fiber rather than a braid of bundles of really thin fiber. Always wondered why this hadn't been done before. I assumed it wasn't possible yet.

Spectra (most 'braids')is an HMPE by the way. The moment I read the article I asked my buddy who's worked for the braid industry for awhile, he said its really not anything new..... Props to the OP for his thorough reading skills though.