Bow hunting?

kevinbarnosky

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this south jersey buck this morning.

Nice buck, what did he weigh?

Didnt get it weighed, but if i had to guess, id say right around 150 lbs dressed. Deer here had a good year. No drought, and plenty of food. This deer was full of fat. More than ive ever seen before.

Got this south jersey buck this morning.

Nice buck, what did he weigh?

+1 and how far of a shot? and, if u dont mind me asking, what bow?

I have a Mathews Reezen. Its 4-5 years old but i have it so dialed in, that i wouldnt think of upgrading. This deer was shot at 28 yards quartering away. Didnt get a pass through but hit right on target through the heart and stuck in the shoulder on the opposite side. Massive blood trail and deer piled up 40 yards from point of impact. Switched to Grim Reaper broadheads this year and was very happy with the devestation. Would have liked to see a pass through but i cant blame the head for that. Hit right at the joint of the shoulder on the opposite side.

Its not the biggest deer ive shot but i have been very selective over the last couple years with the bow. NJ is not known for their trophy deer. Too many people,not enough land, and horrible regs. Its hard to find a 2-1/2 year old buck around here so, a mature buck is almost non-existant. I needed to lay one down, so this was the best ive seen this year and i decided to let the arrow fly. Does on the other hand are everywhere.

Hoping to get a good whitetail with my longbow this year. Just got a 6 by 6 elk in Colorado with the longbow and now it seems right to get a deer. Making my own arrows too so I'll feel pretty rewarded with something this year... Good luck to all the other bow hunters out there. Anyone else use a longbow or recurve?

Awesome. Longbows are primal, and if you can harvest an animal on your feet with one, then you are really hunting! Once my kids get older (they are 2 & 4 now), i will be hunting with a long bow. I just dont have the time to commit to it now especially since i do like to fish in the off season.

• 2 weeks later...

Ik it's not with a bow but thought you guys might enjoy not the biggest buck in the world but when your 16 and you have put in countless hours it's worth it. Especailly cause it's my FIRST BUCK!!! I'm very proud of this deer because I don't have anyone helping me I have to figure it all out on my own and I'm pumped to put this deer down my second year huntin.

post-4975-14253008095897_thumb.jpg

Ik it's not with a bow but thought you guys might enjoy not the biggest buck in the world but when your 16 and you have put in countless hours it's worth it. Especailly cause it's my FIRST BUCK!!! I'm very proud of this deer because I don't have anyone helping me I have to figure it all out on my own and I'm pumped to put this deer down my second year huntin.

Congrats on your first deer, it is a major accomplishment. Not as easy as some people think it is.

My little brother whacked this one back in October!

post-4431-14253008440582_thumb.jpg

...I made a bad shot and lost a deer due to misjudging how much the deer was quartering towards me....kinda hard to get back in the woods after that, I know it happens but I just hate it when it does, I'll get over myself eventually.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this up as the rut is coming quick! Saw my target buck at 30 yards this past Sunday, but couldn't get an arrow where it needed to be. ''Tis life for a bow hunter. Hope he wasn't on to me and I get another chance. He's the biggest buck I've seen in a couple years.

Let's see some pics guys. Hope to have one to share soon!