Triple Trout Bluegill or Black Dog Shellcracker

sooperb8

I am new to the swimbait scene but I am getting addicted quick! I was hoping for some insight before I spend too much money (which seems inevitable). I am trying to chose between the Tripe Trout Bluegill and the Black Dog Shellcracker G2. I am a fan of handmade baits but wondered what everyone's thoughts were when comparing the two. I know that the G2 is not handmade but I want to purchase a couple of whichever seems to be the most productive of the 2 baits in question. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I don't have a triple trout bluegill but, I do have a Pizz beast jr. which is a similar bait. I've fished the G2 shellcracker since I started fishing swimbaits and have caught way more fish with it. That being said its a floating bait with a bill so it can only do so much. Starting out, cost wise the G2 is the smarter decision, you can get the G2 and a hudd and be fishing whole column.

I'm no expert but I honestly don't think you can compare the two.... even though they are both "gill" baits, they are completely different and do different things. each one has it's own place where it will work and one or the other might work better for one person or another...

The BD is smaller, floats, 2 piece, has a bill and can be cranked down if you want. The TT has a larger profile, sinks, is 3 piece. more of a freestyle bait that can be fished several ways for the situation. handmade and costs another 45$ more than the G2 (retail)

It comes down to what works for you... start small and then get the more expensive baits later if you're financially restricted... they'll both catch lots of fish in a given situation, they're both tools

I agree with what chuckin said. It is hard to compare the two baits. You said you are new to the swimbait scene so I would go with the Shellcracker. It was actually my first swimbait and I have caught many fish on it and it gave me the confidence I needed to start throwing the bigger baits. The triple trout is a great bait but I think the G2 would be a better starter bait and you can work your way up to the triple trout!

Good Luck and let us know what you choose!!

I agree with everyone else, you cant compare the two. If it were me I'd get the G2. Its inexpensive and will catch lots of fish and help you build the confidence you need with the bigger baits. It can be dead sticked, waked, or cranked and fish will be caught with all of those techniques. If you really want a three piece bait I'd look more towards a Mattlures or MCL.