Jitterbugs?

Salty_Cak

I guess my opinion on this is that it's not the type of bait that makes it a swimbait but rather what you're trying to imitate.

For example there are Jig-type swimbaits, cranks, wakes, ect.   I don't think putting a metal "jitter-bug" lip on a bait negates it as a swimbait, i.e. Matt's Jitterfish.   Are you trying to simulate a water bug scooting along the surface or a wounded/dying fish.   

I guess my opinion on this is that it's not the type of bait that makes it a swimbait but rather what you're trying to imitate.

For example there are Jig-type swimbaits, cranks, wakes, ect.   I don't think putting a metal "jitter-bug" lip on a bait negates it as a swimbait, i.e. Matt's Jitterfish.   Are you trying to simulate a water bug scooting along the surface or a wounded/dying fish.   

i think  a jitter bug is supposed to imitate a mouse working its way across the surface (IMO), i used to add rubber worms as tails to bring back the fish that bite short.  

i think  a jitter bug is supposed to imitate a mouse working its way across the surface (IMO), i used to add rubber worms as tails to bring back the fish that bite short.  

It was a rhetorical question but yes , exactly....a broken back jitterbug with a rubber worm as a tail looks mysteriously like some of the mouse baits I've seen.  Like I said, I guess it comes down to what you are trying to imitate.  Is a wake bait a swimbait....could be, I'd have to see it.  Is a crank bait a swimbait....could be, I'd have to see it.  Is a jitter bait a swimbait....could be....

I guess this debate could get heated if you post a DD on a jitterbug in a SU tourney

It was a rhetorical question but yes , exactly....a broken back jitterbug with a rubber worm as a tail looks mysteriously like some of the mouse baits I've seen.  Like I said, I guess it comes down to what you are trying to imitate.  Is a wake bait a swimbait....could be, I'd have to see it.  Is a crank bait a swimbait....could be, I'd have to see it.  Is a jitter bait a swimbait....could be....

I guess this debate could get heated if you post a DD on a jitterbug in a SU tourney

if i ever hit a DD on a jitter(one of large size), i will be that guy to post it in a SU tourney or at least try 

the big jitter bug is a killer night time smallie bait. They hit it so hard, the rod practically comes out of your hands. My only complaint is the hooks hangers  fail, I have had them pull out of the bait a few times so keep an eye on them or upgrade the hardware.

The baitmaker who makes the Pat's Perch makes a bug with diesel hardware so you don't have to worry about the hooks comming off the bait. I wish I could get my hand on a few of his jitter bugs.

The baitmaker who makes the Pat's Perch makes a bug with diesel hardware so you don't have to worry about the hooks comming off the bait. I wish I could get my hand on a few of his jitter bugs.

Likewise

the big jitter bug is a killer night time smallie bait. They hit it so hard, the rod practically comes out of your hands. My only complaint is the hooks hangers  fail, I have had them pull out of the bait a few times so keep an eye on them or upgrade the hardware.

The stock hooks on them are absolute trash. I cut the stock hooks off (I don't like unscrewing and reattaching the hangers - I think it weakens them a great deal) and add split rings and new hooks. I really like the short shank KVD triple grips for them.

Lemires plug works makes a badass monster jitterbug!

Used for saltwater! Called the sea fly

They don't work in freshwater.

post-18161-0-11538500-1426885654_thumb.jpg

I think it should count being that big ( not that my opinion matter's lol ) I love the jitterbug its my secret weapon out here in Cali , specially back east where I learned to use it back in early 90's

Edited by JeremyW

That Lemire Sea Fly is a very good bait. Fish it on a quiet calm night and you can hear it plop plop plopping its way back and then they BLAST IT, not sure if it qualifies as a swimbait but bring extra underwear when you fish it.

I never trusted the small screws & screw eyes on two piece jitterbugs ever since a partner i was fishing with in a night tourney had the back section pulled off by a big bass. Ever since then, on my Musky Jitterbugs, and regulars, I "super glue" the screws / screw eyes after I settle on what hooks I'm going to use. I've been making my own "monster" jitterbugs for a few years now....every screw & screw eye is supper glued, even the Lip screws.