Let's see your little tackle tricks

waynem

Often when I fish with someone new I'll see some little thing they do with their tackle to make life easier and think "why didn't I think of that". I'm not talking about some major new technique - I'm talking about the small stuff done to rods, reels, jones, etc that are simple but useful.

I'll start it with the one below and hope that you guys will have some thing to share as well.

Some swimbait rods come with a hook holder on the blank and others don't. I can understand the reason why some builders leave them off because there is the risk of line catching on them at the wrong moment or the hook points digging into the rod blank. Norman makes a simple rubber gadget that you slip over the rod butt that will hold the largest of baits. The LDC rod in the photos has a split grip so I slide it up the rod into the split section where it is out of the way. You can just hang the rear treble, crank the reel to get some tension and you're done. Much less damaging than hanging a big bait from you line guide or reel.

post-21326-0-66001100-1427826790_thumb.jpg

post-21326-0-24951200-1427826823_thumb.jpg

post-21326-0-23271400-1427826851_thumb.jpg

Even if a rod comes with a hanger, I usually add two of my own. One is just a zip-tie with a hole in the end (bag of fifty is couple bucks). The other is a Velcro wrap designed for cords on tools (spool of fifty is a few bucks). I cut the Velcro so that it wraps around the rod about twice.

The zip-tie is for baits with exposed hooks. While I'm fishing, I turn it to the back of the rod, so it's out of the way.

The Vlecro is for baits like weedless Hudds or top-hook Rising Sons. Wrap the Velcro down over the line ahead of the bait and pull it snug up against it.

post-18711-0-20860300-1427829625_thumb.jpg

Edited by Top Ramen

When I'm fishing from the boat, I use a nifty little deal called rod sox. They're a little sleeve that slips over the tip of your rods so when you go to take one out of the rod locker, the desired one doesn't get caught on a million different combos. TW sells a few different versions here: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Rod_Sleeves_Wraps_Tubes__Bags/catpage-RODSLEEVES.html

Also in the boat, I become a neat freak with tackle organization. I hang my terminal tackle and extraneous baits on this little deal: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Cooks_Go-To_Tackle_Storage_System/descpage-CGTSS.html

Ever been in water too deep to free a snagged lure with even a lure retrieving pole? Check this guy out. He's saved me hundreds of dollars. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Lure_Retriever/descpage-DLR.html

MORE LURE ACTION (and reducing line abrasion at the tie point):

solid ring + split ring --> to the line tie

Hopefully that makes sense.

* i dont like snaps and i dont like tying directly to a split ring

Edited by T Dot

Double split rings, they work great for wider or bigger baits like the 250, bullshooter and bulldoze, where you want to keep the hook size the same but need to get the hooks into a better position for hook up ratios, super easy and cheap and really doesnt effect the sink rate too much 

post-21791-0-57766700-1427930597_thumb.jpg

So here is another one that's cheap but effective. Take a film canister (if you can still find one, LOL), drill a hole on the lid and get a small paint brush. Cut down the handle of the paint brush so its not to long. Now you can paint your favorite scent on your baits and never get your hands dirty.

post-18943-0-72225600-1428095888_thumb.jpg

post-18943-0-75848900-1428095916_thumb.jpg

So here is another one that's cheap but effective. Take a film canister (if you can still find one, LOL), drill a hole on the lid and get a small paint brush. Cut down the handle of the paint brush so its not to long. Now you can paint your favorite scent on your baits and never get your hands dirty.

attachicon.gifCAM01744.jpg

attachicon.gifCAM01745.jpg

Speaking of scent...  Here's a tip that really cuts down on the amount of times that you need to re-apply scents.  Now, this only works with soft baits.  Take a wire brush (bbq grate brush will work).  Lay swimbait on it's side.  Gently push brush bristles into the swimbait until it's roughly 1/4 to 1/2 way through.  Flip swimbait onto its other side and repeat.  Now you have several hundred tiny holes with which your scent of choice will seep into.  It works very well, and lengthens the amount of time between re-application.  

Even if a rod comes with a hanger, I usually add two of my own. One is just a zip-tie with a hole in the end (bag of fifty is couple bucks). The other is a Velcro wrap designed for cords on tools (spool of fifty is a few bucks). I cut the Velcro so that it wraps around the rod about twice.

The zip-tie is for baits with exposed hooks. While I'm fishing, I turn it to the back of the rod, so it's out of the way.

The Vlecro is for baits like weedless Hudds or top-hook Rising Sons. Wrap the Velcro down over the line ahead of the bait and pull it snug up against it.

I picked up some of those velcro stay ties yesterday for my hudd gills. Seriously such a great idea, thanks for showing that.

A simple/cheap way to protect your GoPro in storage is a neoprene reel cover. This one cost three bucks at Academy. I put it over the waterproof case so the lens area doesn't get scratched or chipped. 

If you want a lanyard on it, just crimp a ring-type wire connector to the end of a shock cord. Run one of the bolts through it and secure the other end of the cord however you'd like. I sewed on a strip of Velcro because I usually attach it to a pole but you could also use a clamp or any other type of grip.

post-18711-0-83939400-1428532328_thumb.jpg