'Derrick Wallace'

• 3 weeks later...

i put an order in first week of january and added another rod week or two later, and I'm still waiting. hasn't responded to email since march 30th, he told me they were built and just waiting on guides then.

I never got a reply email so i said F it and went to performance tackle. Less than 4 weeks rod was in my hands. Custom 909 phenix which is comparable to the xxh ldc. He might actually get some rods built if he wasnt checking in at the gym on face book. So if you knock up your chick and order a rod the same day, you should have your rod around the time your baby is born.

Edited by JustinHill

I never got a reply email so i said F it and went to performance tackle. Less than 4 weeks rod was in my hands. Custom 909 phenix which is comparable to the xxh ldc. He might actually get some rods built if he wasnt checking in at the gym on face book. So if you knock up your chick and order a rod the same day, you should have your rod around the time your baby is born.

wow... I don't you think you realize he has a personal life as well.

Edited by Vedak

I have a LDC custom XH and a parabolic XXH and love them both. I was lucky enough to find them both on the Black Market for decent prices and in good condition, so I got around the wait. You definitely will be happy with your rod once it gets to you.

Edited by TmBtc12

If you want an off the shelf rod then you should get one.  A custom LDC is as far from off the shelf as you can get.

I've been bass fishing for over 40 years and have used dozens of rods built by "custom" rod makers.  I even tried building custom rods awhile for my own use and for friends.  On some things, like custom fishing rods, I am a perfectionist and I was able to find some flaw on every single rod I had built, regardless of the price I paid.  Mine weren't any better and made me appreciate the challenge of building a flawless rod.

Four or five years ago I ordered my first LDC and it took a good 3-4 months for it to arrive.  When I took it out of the tube I performed my usual inspection, and again, and then again.  I could not find the slightest flaw and was impressed at the small detail touches Ben put into the wrap and I didn't order a fancy wrap.   The rod performed exactly as I expected it to and has been used hard.

Fast forward to the next rod I ordered.  I gave Ben some general information about what I wanted and he took it from there.  When the rod arrived and I took it out of the tube I instantly hated it.  The grip length was not what I expected, the blue camo grip was butt ugly (to me anyway) and I was really disappointed.  I called Ben and he knew immediately from the tone of my voice that I hated the rod.  Without any additional cost to me he told me to ship it back at his expense and he'd build what I wanted.  And he shipped me a loaner rod to use while he built the new one.

I'm waiting on a new LDC parabolic right now and don't know when I'll get it.  In the meantime I'll use what I have, maybe buy some off the shelf rod to test and sell when I get the LDC.  But I know when I get the LDC, it will be perfect, perform exactly as I need / want it to and be worth the wait.   I'm also waiting on two of Randall's 9" gliding gizzards that I paid for 7 months ago.  Those are handcrafted perfection that take time and are in high demand too.....

Could Ben do better at communicating wait times?  Yeah, probably so.  Could he build rods faster?  Again, probably so but I don't want one.  Are there other builders who crank them out faster?  Obviously yes, but I promise you they are not building them any better.

My $0.02

^^^i agree! I waited for my production H for what seemed like a eternity and would get pissed seeing his personal life on social media but you have to step back and realize he's a normal guy, we don't work 24 hours a day plus weekends so why would we expect him to. If he wants to take a day to himself then he should be able to. You will eventually get your rod and you will be more than happy with it.