HERRING BAITS

pigmurkerz

For guys that really fish herring lakes, you will always hear them complain about "blueback" colors. Companies catch fishermen by painting baits really blue (like the 175, which I have), but the actual blueback herring is much more subtle, oftentimes green looking.

But cool picture, that's a big herring.

I kept herring at my house for a while to study the colors and how they react to different water colors temps etc. Also how they swim and change direction. Also did a lot of study of the biology of fish pigments to try to match them when I paint. The biggest thing from the ones I had at home is I could stress it and watch the color change. Also could separate one from the group and it would get darker. This is one I caught midchange and it shows both the normal color (clear water white tank walls) from being in the school and the stressed green color. Led me to believe that you probably have herring of all colors you see in most lakes depending on condition water color and time of year etc.

post-17799-0-01387800-1430963142_thumb.jpg

Great post Randall!

I kept & studied multiple species of fish for a few years as well, and the things I learned were invaluable.

Like the color changing for example- the dominate/alpha fish would always be darker in color. When they'd decided to bully/chase/harass/challenge/show dominance- the alpha fish would get dark and go 'full color' and flare all their fins out- while all the other lesser fish would go pale and tuck their fins- out of shear fear/nervousness. If another fish 'showed its colors', the alpha fish would key in on it.

Likewise, the predator fish in a tank of bait fish would go dark before it fed. All species, from bass to chilids to red belly piranhas.

And then the environmental factors- day/night, temperatures, water changes, etc.

There's a lot to learn from keeping fish. The types of deflections off structure that triggers strikes. Specific movements of a worm or other bait thrown in that reveal what the fish like, colors/patterns, the preferred angles of attack, the way they move during different situations, etc.

That's a small herring compared to the ones we get out here in New England, right now most of them are pushing 10-12", we've had a moratorium on them in CT, MA and RI for at least the last 5 years, thinking its been more like 10-15, which has resulted in returning breeders every season and some great freshwater bodies of water producing solid largemouth out here. Pretty much any body of water with a salt fed stream or herring ladder is a good bet early season and again late season when the fry dump out for the ocean.

I was throwing the HPH the other day and had 6-12 herring schooling along with it and bumping it, guess it looks real enough to them should look real good for big bass, the herring that were schooling with it were the biggest I've seen in many years, easily 3-5" longer than the HPH.

Its illegal to harvest, touch or net them in any way and the DEM/EP guys don't joke around about it.

Edited by chefchris