Deps 250 Skin Overhang, New/OG

chefchris

so a couple of us where having a discussion about the new 250 vs the OG style, like the adjustability, colors, sink rates, etc and one thing that came up was the front skin.

You can see how long the overhang is at the joint on the NEW version, which limits the angle the tail will naturally fall.

post-21791-0-55306100-1431027095_thumb.jpg

On the OG style the skin is very short in comparison to the new style. which gives the tail a greater angle.

post-21791-0-87723600-1431027192_thumb.jpg

the last pic shows the angles compared, its a pretty drastic amount of change

post-21791-0-39628700-1431027608_thumb.jpg

anyone have any ideas why the skin overhang is so long? reasons behind it?

seems like the only option for increasing the glide on the new version is trimming the skin back seeing the screws aren't adjustable.

May be you should try and loosen the glue from the New baits skin to body connection in that back area and slide it forward a little bit then re-glue it!
Just saying, it seems to work for me but what do I know i'm just a post reader...........

To get it close to the OG I'm having to push the skin so far forward the face gets distorted, is that what you guys are finding?

I'm not complaining about the action or anything just our observations while talking about the bait.

The OG ones I have are real SS and one SK, all the skins are the same length, and one is brand new in box, so no shrinkage

I believe it was made longer so that when the tail contacts it, it compresses and then springs the tail the other direction causing the bait to turn and go the other way.

Seems right to me

You can also take the back skin off, and take the rod which goes through the hinges out, then loosen the hinges. This will put the tail section farther back from the skin, allowing it to be closer to the OG

You can also take the back skin off, and take the rod which goes through the hinges out, then loosen the hinges. This will put the tail section farther back from the skin, allowing it to be closer to the OG

this is NOT an option, even though it was supposed to be 

http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23088-warning-do-not-adjust-hinge-on-the-new-250s/?hl=%2Badjust+%2Bhinges

Thought you were Butch responding again, but just the same user name, with a capital letter

Anyone esle compare or look at the OG to New ones??? 

ill upload some more pics of the OGs, 

I moved the skin forward on a new 250 to get it close to the OG and the skin is so far forward it has "derp face" so that doesnt seem like an option at least on the ones I own. 

This is a feature they added. Yes, it would make the body lighter, but the lead weights they use in the new ones are heavier. There are a ton of variables that come into play with these baits and a tenth of a gram makes a difference.

Why doesn't someone just measure the length of a new one vs an old one? Or take both skins off and place them side by side? I guess I'll do it when I get home but this would have been the simplest way to compare...