Shore fishing "question"

willsochill

What's everyone's opinion about how long to keep a Good size fish out of water, when shore fishing?

I have always had the mentality to keep the out of water a little less than the amount of time I can hold my breath. If I haven't gotten all my pics and scale reading by then I'll put the fish back in the water for a short period.

Just curious on what others feel / do?

What's everyone's opinion about how long to keep a Good size fish out of water, when shore fishing?

I have always had the mentality to keep the out of water a little less than the amount of time I can hold my breath. If I haven't gotten all my pics and scale reading by then I'll put the fish back in the water for a short period.

Just curious on what others feel / do?

as little time as possible. 

i like to get to my spot, and set up my base camp, take the camera, scale, tape out and have it ready. 

as i move locations i move my camp down the trail/bank/etc, always trying to have it within a short distance. ill walk 25 yards and work the bank, if i go more than say 50 yards i move all my stuff with me. Ive moved down too dar and stuck photo worthy fish and had to run back for the scale. 

i try and pack light, back pack with a plano box with maybe 5-8 baits, scale, tape, water bottles, snacks, etc, maybe an extra rod if the spot calls for it, 

most the spots i fish im not worried about other people taking my backpack/scale, but i always keep an eye out. 

now i try and just keep the scale on me with my cell phone for quicker pics. 

Same here. I carry a landing net with me so I keep the fish in the net/water while I am getting my camera and scale ready and then for a breather in between photos and weighting.

I also prefer to hold fish in the water via net. Some bass have escaped from my hands before, so I feel safer holding them in a net...Plus it frees both my hands up! 30 seconds is the longest I would keep a bass out of the water.

Another thing I have started doing is not playing the fish out too much before landing them(to reduce stress).

I agree! Tiring a fish out lengthens the time you may waste reviving it too...time you could be using to fish.

It's definitely important to get the bass back into the water as quickly as you can but largemouths can handle a lot of stress. Fish and people breathe in completely different ways so comparing how long you can hold your breathe compared to the fish isn't really accurate. It also depends on the water temperature and as a general rule the warmer the water the quicker the fish should be released but even in 70 degree water largemouth bass can survive out of water up to 15 minutes without any delayed mortality. Now I'm not saying you should ever hold onto a fish for close to that long but bass are some really hardy fish and there's a reason they live damn near everywhere so having them out of water for a couple minutes isn't doing them any long term harm as long as the water temps aren't too high.