Custom rods outside LDC.

scoopdaloop

How hard is it to build a basic rod

It's not difficult to build a standard no frills rod if you have the right equipment and understanding of what you want for your application. There are some great video tutorials on mudhole. If you mess up you can always rewrap the rod. 

The advantage to working with guys that have been doing it for a long time is they tend to have a deep data base and understanding of different blanks. The learning curve can be steeper for guys who've been only building for a couple years. 

The thing with Ben is he's near some of the biggest blank manufacturers in the country in Socal so he's able to go and actually feel the blanks first hand without having to experiment with building an inventory. 

Hunter, This brings back alot of memories for me. In the late seventies and early eighties there was a man named Gene Bullard in the (Lake Highlands area) That took me in to learn the craft. I was a young teenanger at this time. The man was as good as gold to me and I will never forget it. He was a true genious in the art of rod building. Monday nights was the night for the grown men to do thier thing there at the shop. Crazy ish there ( The beer truck always made a special stop just for the shop) all them talking trash to each other.  Was fun just to absorb everything as a kid. Then later I met a Man by the name of John Bradford (Fort Worth area that taught me the trade of Bamboo Fly rod making another genious in his craft with very primitive tools. He is well known in the fly fishing circle. 

How hard is it to build a basic rod

its fairly simple. blank, reelseat, cork/eva grips, guides, and thread. difficulty for a basic build comes when applying finish. that in itself has a learning curve. like in swimbait fishing, LEARN THE BASICS then move on to the decorative wraps, exotic handle materials, etc.

rod building can quickly become an expensive hobby. and if you're just starting out or testing the waters, no need for a power wrapper or fancy dryer. when i first started, i used a cardboard box that i cut V notches in. a phone book or other thick book provides enough tension for wrapping. for the dryer, i hand turned the first 2 rods I've ever built. feel free to pm for more info.

good luck!

Performance Tackle in Los Alamitos builds some beefy rods... they're expensive... but you won't wait a year to get them. Their time frame is pretty quick... just a couple of weeks. They can definitely fill the void for those looking into an LDC.

Ones a 2-8oz 8'3" with Fuji kr alconite concepts.

Money deps250 rod.

Other one is a 1-4oz 7'11" with ss

ame micro guides. With burnt cork split grips and hold metallic tiger wrap. With a daiwa tatula hd custom this setup is super light and is my rising son rod. Tad too parabolic for hudd68 weedless though. Awesome for 9inch spammers and depa175 as well.

post-20917-0-99586200-1432345581_thumb.jpg

post-20917-0-33267000-1432345591_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...