Is Swimbait'ing for me???

CHELBOED

You ask if swimmers will kill your fish, I highly doubt that because I notice that swimbait fish don't get hook in the gut or gills that often, I would say less than 1%. There are people that just straight up fish swimmers only. Right now I'm like almost right there but once in a while just to break the rut I catch fish on conventionAL gear like a fish or two in a trip then back to swimmers just in the same trip, just changes your train of thought and reguvinate yourself and ready to catch that next big one. Definitely have to use swimmers long enough to get the understanding it's greatness and weakness of using swimbaits in certain bodies of water. Good luck to you

I actually meant..."will it kill my catch ratio". I don't know if I'm ready to go out for a week and catch no fish at all. I'll probably do it right...get a proper rod, proper reel, and a couple decent Hudd's to begin with...and give it a shot next year.

For now, I've got standard tackle swimbaits (sub 1oz) that I can play with and get the feel of it.

Thanks for all the replies to the noob. Very helpful and inspiring stuff, guys.

Swimbait fishing is for you. That's if you have caught your share in the past and willing to get skunked! Will power, family and friends can dictate that. Surround yourself with supportive humans. Kick everyone else to the curb!

I'm pretty patient at times. I was out bankfishing for 6 hrs Sunday. 90% of what I caught was on a Senko...so I had to work it really slow. Granted, there are gonna be times that I just don't feel like it and I'll get out some other faster-moving bait, but I really like slow-fishing soft plastics.

The only difference I suppose is that I caught 32 fish that day and only 3x of them were over 3.5lbs. The only one's I really cared about.

I can remember vividly...my 3x PB's...but can't recall the other thousands. If I am out and catch only one fish that's over 19"...I feel the trip was worth it. If it's over 20"...I'm pretty stoked. If it's over 21"...I got the smiles for while's.

Im pretty sure me and my cousin are the only swim baiters in my city, so its definitely hard to see all my close friends whacking the crap out of them every time. You also might get teased by people of the area you are fishing. Ive heard so many snarky comments and people calling me an idiot for using a 9 inch bait in a pond. On the other hand its very rewarding to stick an absolute pig right in front of their face. I love it though. When you hook a fish on a swimbait NOTHING else matters at that moment except the fish. Its what I love about it

Well swimbaiting isnt for everyone.Ive put about 8 trips in so far (6-8 hour tips) this season throwing some kind of big swimbait about 75% of the time..Ive had about a handful of bites,a handful of followers and caught about 7 of a small hudd weedless shad (really not a swimbaits) ,two on matt lures 4inch bluegill,and only two on a six inch bbz..So ive def gotten bit but nothings over 2.50 yet..

ive throw:  6"bbz   8" triple trout   6"and8" hudds  7"slammer  7" river to sea s waver  and smaller swimbaits

Im looking to try and break five pounds this season,Ill do it on a big swimbait!

I mean confidence is everything def with these big swimbaits

Before I even get out on the water I have my mind set that im gonna throw a big SB all day or at least half of it and if I dont get bit so be it..