Newbie from the Lone Star State

Tony_Wornick

Hello everyone, new to the swimbait world and looking to take on this new addiction.  So far, I've learned that I need to order an LDC rod, get some 25# mono and some really awesome swimbaits and have at it.

Look forward to learning from everyone on here!

LDC is the last thing you should buy or any custom rod for that matter , make sure you can toss big baits days on end before you drop any money on custom rods (or you will find yourself selling to me 6months from now) Lets put it this way a kids tells me the other day you are always catching fish on swimbaits So now he wants to buy all this custom stuff etc.. so I said ok you think its easy ? meet me here tomorrow which he did I brought my Phenix M1 paired with a 300d , i had a 2oz triple trout (which is like throwing a senko to me) i told him here go throw from 7 am tell 7pm and if you still think its easy and you can do it the rod reel bait is yours . Well that last all of a hr he said the rod and reel where to heavy lol so point is dont waste money on good stuff tell you are 100% sure of it ( mentally to )

Edited by JeremyW

Along with basic lures you need some basic bass fishing knowledge. If you are a newbie to bass fishing in general, you should probably start with spinnerbaits, crankbaits, senkos, etc. Its easier to learn basic bass behavior with conventional baits and then graduate to bigger swimbaits. If you already have that basic knowledge then open your mind and your wallet to the world of swimbaiting.

Thanks everyone so far for the replies.  I've bass fished all of my life (i'm 44 now), so there have been plenty of days spent trying to catch these little suckers.

Is anyone throwing baits on the Dobyns swimbait rods?

Thanks everyone so far for the replies.  I've bass fished all of my life (i'm 44 now), so there have been plenty of days spent trying to catch these little suckers.

Is anyone throwing baits on the Dobyns swimbait rods?

Yes they are badass, but like mentioned above with those baits start out with your heavy conventional gear and then eventually upgrade from there

Better? I mean to say yes or no is a pretty bold statement. They are both great rod company's one being custom one being mass produced. They fish completely different (I have owned 2 795s, 806, 807 and currently own 6 or 7 ldc) I replaced all my Dobyns rods with the ldc rods bc I prefer the stiffer blanks, look and feel of my ldc rods.

My recommendation would honestly be to go with a budget friendly rod and 4-5 baits (seriously no more) and fish em hard...once u figure out that u like it, what types of baits your throwing, your preferred style...then dive in.

There have been a number of great posts on rod and reel combos recently. Take a look at a few of them.

Welcome to the swimbait game-I'm in north Texas as we'll... I too have a long history with conventional bass gear. But once I got into swimbaits I haven't been able to go back to my old stuff and have as much fun...or catch fish the size swimbaits do.

Dobyns make a great rod but once you try an LDC you will know what I mean when I say it's the Roles Royce of rods ... my opinion

I would also recommend getting a hand full of baits and work to master those before moving forward...your confidence will grow and you will have an easier time adjusting to new baits

I have had sucess in Texas on the folling types and style of baits

Rat/Punker and a wake bait

3:16 Riseing Son and a soft Gill

6in Hudd Rof 6/12...

Gill baits like the Fish30acre and Got'em Coach

Triple Trouts and Bull Shads

Mid size glides 175 to a 250

Those are some baits I started with...Give me a Hallar if you ever want to meet up and trade tips.

Take care-Justin

Welcome to the swimbait game-I'm in north Texas as we'll... I too have a long history with conventional bass gear. But once I got into swimbaits I haven't been able to go back to my old stuff and have as much fun...or catch fish the size swimbaits do.

Dobyns make a great rod but once you try an LDC you will know what I mean when I say it's the Roles Royce of rods ... my opinion

I would also recommend getting a hand full of baits and work to master those before moving forward...your confidence will grow and you will have an easier time adjusting to new baits

I have had sucess in Texas on the folling types and style of baits

Rat/Punker and a wake bait

3:16 Riseing Son and a soft Gill

6in Hudd Rof 6/12...

Gill baits like the Fish30acre and Got'em Coach

Triple Trouts and Bull Shads

Mid size glides 175 to a 250

Those are some baits I started with...Give me a Hallar if you ever want to meet up and trade tips.

Take care-Justin

Thanks Justin...where are you located and what lakes are you throwing these baits? I know right now we have several lakes still closed from the floods.

I'm near Denton in the Country...I fish Lewisville Grapevine and Ray Roberts...and my favorite Lake Fork...

Most ramps are closed but there are ways of getting on

I also fish a lot of ponds...where ever there is water

I'm in Texas too, fish Lake Conroe. As far as rods go I started with a Diawa XH swimbait rod and went to GLoomis GL2 957. Awesome rod for the heavies. Lots of choices though. I'm using a Shimano Curado 300E, love it. My best producing baits so far have been glides. Deps 250 and the R2S S-waver 200 (Warden). 6" Hudds work in cooler months too. I would pick up a Bull Shad and a rat type wake bait/slammer. The biggest revelation for me was the Deps 250, lots of followers and some were huge. Packs of bass sometimes. The S-waver catches fish too. Read a lot here and decide where you want to start. It's helpful.