2010 What bait or baits..

spooky007

For me I want to focus on being more well rounded as a fisherman. As of now there are 12 rods on my deck and only one is a swimbait rod. I have been fishing mostly swimbaits since 1999 and we did not have nearly what we have now. It is time to learn as many baits and techniques as I can and just try to always put fish in the boat. Of course I have always got a few secret squirrel things going on.

Best of luck and Happy New Year to all

Rich

IF I can get my hands on a 6" FS Trout I will use it a lot in salt and fresh for 2011. Until then I will be using my 6" Nates trout and baby wake in saltwater and continue using my FS shads in fresh because they produced the most for me in 2010.

I would like to upgrade to a bait larger than 6" this year like a herring or baby bass, I just don't have the confidence in larger baits yet.

FS perch. I didn't get out as much this year as I have in years past and when I did, I wasnt as loyal to the big baits but it only took one trip in October to open my eyes back up. Looking forward to 2011 and throwing the big baits more consistently.

Last years main baits were

Slammer 7in X2 dark trout

3:16 freestyle shad

3:16 Risig sons

These were the staples last year with swimbaits for me and I had some sick days on the water with all three baits.

2011 I'll be focusing on the 6in 3:16 baits 8-) coming and I will be focusing on new water as well as trying to key in on smallmouth more on swimbaits

post-168-14252984745051_thumb.jpg

2010 was a tough year for me. Didn't fish near as much as past few years and when I did get out timing was pretty much all wrong. Caught a bunch of swimbait fish, quality just wasn't there. spent most of the year with rof 5 8" hudd. and the small rising son. got a few on the punker jr. that was fun. This year I'm gonna spend more time with the punker and I'm gonna get bit on the big rising son :D .

With all the mixed up spring weather here in northern Ca, the swimbait bite was not very consistent for me. My preplanned trips were mostly associated with major cold storms. We were able to catch fish, all on hudds and other softbaits, but nothing over 6lbs until fall. Didn't even make a real summer trip this year! Wahh.

Next year I need to gain some confidence in my hardbaits and throw some larger softbaits like the baitsmith magnum more often. Those trouts in the clear plastic look amazing. Also going to target smallmouths more when the timing is right, still need to break the 5lb mark on those. Hopefully my FS shads will help with that!

Keeping my fingers crossed for some more consistent weather this spring! At this rate all true Norcal lakes should fill up just in time.

10' was the year of the rat for me. Bought as many as I could and tried them out, still have a few that I'm gonna put more time into. On top was the Nezumma rat in the medium size, good stuff right there. Biggest fish for me this year was on the slow sink Freestyle Bass and other quality fish. I also would like to spend 11' fishing more hard bait sinkers.