Deps 175 barely gliding

Shishkabab

Looking for some advice. Recently bought a used OG 175 and it just doesn't have much glide to it. This is my first time fishing a deps so I don't have anything to compare it to.

On a fast retrieve it has the side to side action, with a pretty tight glide. On a slow retrieve, however, it just comes in straight. No wiggle, no swim, no glide. I've tried using a split ring to no avail. Any advice? Am I doing something wrong?

Pop the reel when the head swings one direction and then pop it again when you want it to turn back. The smaller baits don't have as much natural glide to them as the bigger, heavier baits.

Once you get the feel of it, it will become second nature. Just keep fishing it. FWIW, the new 175s glide considerably easier with just a straight retrieve.

I've noticed the skin can move forward towards the nose of you fish and cast it hard. This blocks the grooves in the side of the bait where the skin meets the sides of the nose. You must have water flowing through the nose of the bait and down the sides of the grooves for it to perform well. I took one dot of loctite gel and put it under the skin once it was pulled back a hair to make sure the skin wouldn't move forward on the ABS again.

Personally, I would just sell the OG and purchase one of the new 175s (you can find them for around $60-65 on eBay last time I checked). The mystique surrounding OG 250s does NOT apply to the OG 175s. I have been really happy with the new 175s though. With a simple, slow retrieve they glide really nicely. If you go for one of the new 175s, I think you'll save yourself a lot of time unnecessarily wrestling with the OG to get it to do what the new 175s do rather effortlessly right out of the box. 

My og 175 fishes/glides better than my new 175. Better action durring slow retrives. Better action during faster retrieves. Imo just a better all around bait. The new 175 pretty much has one speed. Anything slower it comes through the water like a turd and any faster and it noses up, breaks surface and looses traction. Im not a fan of either of the 175's but imo the og is an ok bait and the new 175 is a waste of time. Too many other quality glides out there. They do look nice though😄.

I'd have to disagree with Topwater on the new 175s being "a waste of time". I can't compare them to an OG 175 which I have never owned, but the 3 injected 175s that I own all have an excellent glide. I do notice that they have better action when I throw them on 17# fluoro versus 25# mono. My 2 cents is that they are well worth the money.

I'd have to disagree with Topwater on the new 175s being "a waste of time". I can't compare them to an OG 175 which I have never owned, but the 3 injected 175s that I own all have an excellent glide. I do notice that they have better action when I throw them on 17# fluoro versus 25# mono. My 2 cents is that they are well worth the money.

x2. I actually prefer my 175 vs my other smaller glides on a slow retrieve. It will nose up from time to time with hard reel cranks but other than that it swims at all speeds. Can't comment on the OG but if it's giving you troubles the new ones are good baits. 

line size can effect the glide a lot as can a stiff rod that doesn't allow the bait to work well

line size can effect the glide a lot as can a stiff rod that doesn't allow the bait to work well

Good point Ceaser. I actually didn't care for my 175 right away until I started fishing it on an big deep crankbait rod and the bait came alive after that adjustment. I fish all my smaller glides on nontraditional swimbait rods now and it really helps the glide. 

I'd try it with lighter line and rod like ceaser said. I just switched to using my deep diving crank rod spooled with 12lb fluoro for smaller glides and have noticed a huge improvement over the 15lb mono and okuma mh. Better action on the 168 even on the straight reel it glides almost an extra foot and stays down in the strike zone better for me. Might drop down to 10 lb. Glides are affected a lot more than other baits by line diameter, density, etc. Just keep switching around until you find what works for you. Colby Pearson has a video on the gan craft 230 that touches on this as well.

yeah the 168 sizes work well on 12lb... i like old trilene xl even on the 168. really limber and nice... a soft tip does more than you think, colby reminded me of that.. i think he was throwing the 230 on 12lb... ballsy