When to drop the 250 and pick up the Huddleson?

Lakeshark

I live in the SF bay area, in central California.   Right now our water temps are slowly dropping for the fall. We went from the mid 80's down to mid 70's in water temps, and the bite is picking up.  Now, let me say that I have a lot more fun fishing a glide bait vs the hudd.

So my question is, at what temps do you guys start stepping away from the glides to fish slower moving baits?

Thank you in advance,

Luke

In Rhode Island I would use the Hudd more in colder water (40 - 60 degrees). This may have been because of the way I fished them, more like a jig, slow just moving it up or down the bank, or parallel to the bank.

I am now trying them a little faster around isolated deep weed, the water is 86 at 6:00 in the morning. Need to figure out the swimbait fishing down here now.

The fish will tell you exactly what they want. Go out with both baits tied on and see what happens. If you throw the Deps first thing with little to no action, meaning followers or bites then it may be a Huddleston type of day. If you're in a boat use your electronics and see how the fish are positioned. If they're sitting down there in 40 feet of water hugging the bottom, then a rof 12 - 16 Hudd may be the best choice. Likewise if they're suspended up over the top of cover a deps may be your go too. There are a million other factors that can go into it, such as wind, shade, etc but i hope this helps. Goodluck and don't overcomplicate it. 

I appreciate everyone's advice. I guess I didn't really know that people fished the 250 all year. I was under the impression that it was a spring summer fall thing. Which is great news for me, as I really enjoy the control factor of a glide. You guys just gave me some more confidence to throw it year round. Thanks again

I don't even own a 250 but the Hudd never leaves the deck of the boat. All these fish were caught on Hudd ROF 12's with water temps in the mid to high 80's in 5-15 feet of water. To me, there very few times to not be throwing a Hudd.post-18520-0-89111000-1442107810_thumb.jpgpost-18520-0-52385100-1442107829_thumb.jpgpost-18520-0-82592600-1442108108_thumb.jpg

Water temps 65 degrees tonight and I had plenty of action on the glide bait. Like Jace D I catch  fish on the Hudd during the summer months in shallow water. Throw them both and let the fish tell you what they want. I've caught bass on topwater swimbaits in 39 degree water when nothing else worked. Sometimes fish don't play by the rules we set. 

Try and use glide baits in the same application as you would a jerkbait in the dead of winter. Same application but you have more draw with the size. Longer pauses between soft twitches, slow roll, and don't rule out deadsticking super slow sinks and near suspending sink rates. If they're getting hooked outside the mouth slow down.