Noob in San Diego

kahai808

Its great to be on the forum. Originally from Molokai, Hawaii and grew up fishing. Made my way across the pond in my high school day and now I am lucky to live in San Diego. Lots of great lake that holds some pigs! I mostly fish off my float tube and shore. Recently caught my PB of 9lbs 8oz and have been searching for that feeling again. I look forward to gaining more knowledge and the constant pursue of GAINTS!

I have started with a Dobyns 807 with a Abu Garcia Beast. As far as line I am running 65lbs braid (most of my gear I run braid with leaders). As far as big baits I have a Deps 175 (carp), Huddleston, and Woodrow Rat. Want to give those a go for a bit.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. No hard feeling here. This is a learning process for me and take any advice!

Alohaz!

You will probably get this from others but when tossing big/bigger baits, most guys will use mono and or just not braid. Just because no stretch will cost you some high dollar baits in the future. Seems like you already got a solid setup though. Good luck man!!!

You will probably get this from others but when tossing big/bigger baits, most guys will use mono and or just not braid. Just because no stretch will cost you some high dollar baits in the future. Seems like you already got a solid setup though. Good luck man!!!

right now I am running braid with 6ft leader. not sure if that's the route I should go. Thanks for the info. ill have to look into it more.

Sounds like you're off to a good start with your baits. As MichiganBassman stated, I usually fish all mono (20-30lb depending on the bait),but I do have a Woodrow rat and fish it with braid. Learn the baits you have and you will catch some quality san diego fish.

Sounds like you're off to a good start with your baits. As MichiganBassman stated, I usually fish all mono (20-30lb depending on the bait),but I do have a Woodrow rat and fish it with braid. Learn the baits you have and you will catch some quality san diego fish.

should meet up sometime! Usually hit up Miramar, Murray, and Santee

Hey Dean, are there any bass on Molokai?? I grew up on Kauai and the bass fishing used to be awesome back in the day. I moved out to so cal about 14 yrs ago or so and have been in mission viejo for the past 10 yrs. It's too bad I only started throwing swimbaits after Lake mission viejo died but the bass spawned this spring so they should be some hawgs ready to eat some swimbaits in a few years, although I think there were some holdovers that I'll be throwing my 250 at in the next week or so just to see if any are really around. I make the trek down to Murray every once in a while and lost a pig over there on a negotiator. I would love to throw some swimbaits with another island boy. Maybe we can do a session at Murray one of these days! Saturday morning is my designated fishing time.

good to see another SD member. I'm down to meet up. Usually head out for a couple hours each weekend morning

Yeah hit me up anytime!

Hey Dean, are there any bass on Molokai?? I grew up on Kauai and the bass fishing used to be awesome back in the day. I moved out to so cal about 14 yrs ago or so and have been in mission viejo for the past 10 yrs. It's too bad I only started throwing swimbaits after Lake mission viejo died but the bass spawned this spring so they should be some hawgs ready to eat some swimbaits in a few years, although I think there were some holdovers that I'll be throwing my 250 at in the next week or so just to see if any are really around. I make the trek down to Murray every once in a while and lost a pig over there on a negotiator. I would love to throw some swimbaits with another island boy. Maybe we can do a session at Murray one of these days! Saturday morning is my designated fishing time.

nah no bass on Molokai. Let me know when you come down. we can meet up and blastem then we can go Island Style Café and get some grindz!

Yeah hit me up anytime!

nah no bass on Molokai. Let me know when you come down. we can meet up and blastem then we can go Island Style Café and get some grindz!

Shoots bra!! Haha! I'll hit you up next time I'm thinking of doing a Murray trip and I'm always down for some island grub!!