Welcome to dreamland!

FishDr

I'm living in a dreamland - I keep heading out and running into solid fish.  It's got to be a dream, since I'm on a run of big fish that I just can't believe!

I wanted to get out after bass and walleye again last night but had to wait until my wife got home, which was late enough (almost 2230 h) that I almost didn't go.  Still, the thought of getting my last topwater action on bass (we're hitting 30s at night and the snow level is dropping - one ski area is opening on Thursday!) and maybe a bonus walleye was enough to get me going.  When I got to the lake and met my friend I was shocked by how bright the moon was and how chilly it was - the phone said it was about 40F, but the finger-meter said that it was colder, especially when the breeze cut through the layers.

But we were there, and we had to fish.  We couldn't buy a strike on anything close to or parallel to shore - not topwater, not wake bait, not slow sinking Hudd or SS175.  After a while I switched to a slow-sink BBZ-1 Jr., fishing it straight out and counting it down to what I assumed was 10' - 15', and then slow rolling it back in with occasional jerks and pauses.  That did the trick - around midnight I hooked and landed a solid walleye.  She was 28" long, and felt heavy, but until I got her on the digital scale I didn't realize how heavy - 10.4 pounds!  The fish just be loading up for winter!

10-6%20BBZ1-Jr%20WLY_zpsutrxdkxx.jpg

My friend hooked up soon afterwards with a nice bass, right around 18", on a 68 Hudd, also fished straight out.  Then I followed up with two bass, one of which might have gone 16", also on casts straight out.  He landed another bass on the 68, and then I finished up with a single bass on the Whopper Plopper cast parallel to the bank (I just had to try for one topwater strike).  The water is definitely cooling down, and, at least last night it seemed like the bass who've been hugging the bank are now in deeper water.  I'm sure we'll throw topwater again, just because we're stupid that way, even though all indications suggest that going subsurface is the way to go.
Edited by FishDr