firearms

Bassman88

also food for thought. police will take your firearm as evidence till the case/prosecution is over with and the dude you shot or shot at is convicted. so do you want to lock up 200-600 behind bars or 600-3000.

Can't put a price on protecting your family/friends/yourself!

also food for thought. police will take your firearm as evidence till the case/prosecution is over with and the dude you shot or shot at is convicted. so do you want to lock up 200-600 behind bars or 600-3000.

That would be like taking a $400 bait, tying it on the end of a string and launching it out into 30 FOW......oh, wait......... :shock:

I don't think longer site radius makes a difference in a home protection situation. you only lose about 1/2" if you went to a G19. Home protection situation would probably mean 5 yrds or less. at that point people would probably be using "instinctive shooting" (point and shoot) instead of getting a full sight picture.

Absolutely agree with instinctive shooting.  I would take the +3 you get with the 17 though. My site radius comment was more about the recreational shooting he was planning to do.

as far as SA over DA (No to include strike fire guns...ie Glocks, XD...) I think DA is a great feature when you have a gun with a hammer. most SA hammer pistols have sweet triggers that break pretty lights. I don't want to pick up my loaded gun (I don't have kids) in the middle of the night, half a sleep with the hammer cocked back, hints that DA feature. for me I don't want to worry about racking a round in the chamber. every mil/sec matters. But I also wouldn't use a hammer style gun as my home protection (just personal preference), I use a strike fire gun, G19.

All in all its really up to the user. Whatever you decide you have to practice. know that gun inside and out. if you have a failure how are you doing to deal with it.

again just my personal preference and opinion, not trying to bag on the way others do it.

^This should of been said earlier.  Everyone has their own preference. I prefer keeping one ready to go in the chamber, but it comes down to whatever you are comfortable and train with.

Bassman88- I would suggest going to a shooting based forum, because many of these topics have been discussed in and out.

Great page to follow on FB is "Active Self Protection", the guy breaks down videos and explains what lessons can be learned from other's situations and mistakes.

• 3 weeks later...

I have and HK USP .40 for the house and carry a kimber ultra carry .45. I like the kimber but it will probably get sold for another HK. I only have a 1000 rounds down the kimber and had some feed failures and ejection problems. My HK has over 5K rounds and not a single hiccup, it will shoot any ammo, the kimber is choosey.

I like the XD's  too, cheap and super reliable.

I have and HK USP .40 for the house and carry a kimber ultra carry .45. I like the kimber but it will probably get sold for another HK. I only have a 1000 rounds down the kimber and had some feed failures and ejection problems. My HK has over 5K rounds and not a single hiccup, it will shoot any ammo, the kimber is choosey.

I like the XD's  too, cheap and super reliable.

Kimber has definitely gone from a semi custom to a production line. I was really upset about that. I had an hold Raptor Custom and it was great. got a TL Custom II and Warrior II and had all kinds of problems with them.

Kimber has definitely gone from a semi custom to a production line. I was really upset about that. I had an hold Raptor Custom and it was great. got a TL Custom II and Warrior II and had all kinds of problems with them.

yeah, I definitely have some buyers remorse, it was 1200$. The gun looks and feels great. I love the trigger and I find it to be very accurate, but f man, I don't like the issues I have had, especially for something I am using to defend my life with. The 3rd time at the range, the guide rod that holds the recoil spring in place ejected from the pistol. I didn't notice it when it happened. When I got home and went to clean it, I was like wtf, where is my guide rod. I went back to the range and found it in two pieces, the rounded head sheared off  the rod. Kimber replaced it but they didn't have any in stock for 6 weeks. I asked the guy if he could pull one out of a new production gun they had in their inventory and he laughed then said no.

yeah, I definitely have some buyers remorse, it was 1200$. The gun looks and feels great. I love the trigger and I find it to be very accurate, but f man, I don't like the issues I have had, especially for something I am using to defend my life with. The 3rd time at the range, the guide rod that holds the recoil spring in place ejected from the pistol. I didn't notice it when it happened. When I got home and went to clean it, I was like wtf, where is my guide rod. I went back to the range and found it in two pieces, the rounded head sheared off  the rod. Kimber replaced it but they didn't have any in stock for 6 weeks. I asked the guy if he could pull one out of a new production gun they had in their inventory and he laughed then said no.

you could turn it into a GI style plug without the guide rod. then you don't have to worry about. almost all after market guide rods will work. I wouldn't get another kimber guide rod. go to midwayusa and you should find some for cheap

• 2 weeks later...