Best Low Profile Reels

egoodnow

Looking to buy my first swimbait reel and obviously I've read about the Lexa but I was wondering if there were any other lower profile reels I might want to be looking at.  I'm looking around the 200 dollar price point and won't be throwing any baits over 5 or 6 oz.

i started with a Lexa 300 and have since made the switch to Curado 300's. For me, the Shimano is a lot smoother and has loads of power for my applications. Liked it so much I bought another, and plan on buying many more...

I have been fishing a Lexa 400 for a few months. I really like it and I'm sure the 300's are great too but I still have some shimanos and tit for tat they have the edge on smoothness. They just feel more durable. Not knocking lexas and I plan on ordering another 400 HS.

To me I dont think you could go wrong with either, lexa or just about anything shimano in the $200  range.

For me the curado hands down. Just picked up a Lexa and it's not bad, I got it for $80 virtually unused so it was worth trying. The curados are sweet because you can find them in the three most popular gear ratios,, the newer 300s are 6:1, while the previous model 200 dpv & dhsv are same size, and were offered in 7:1 & 5:1. Can still find both of those models/ratios online through different places for around $125 give or take. Having several setups on board, I prefer having similar models, makes life a lot easier.

post-24160-0-84885500-1449712758_thumb.jpg

I have two Revo toro nacl 50's and i love them. picked one up on ebay for about 150 used and another for around 200 brand new. Lexa 300 is a great reel but I prefer how smooth the revo is.

Edited by D.Harper603

I wouldnt think the DPV and DHSV would be much of swimbait reels with a line capacity of 110 of 14#.

The 200/201 Ds definitely have less capacity than the 300 because of the spool depth Rath than width. Casting them both feels the same. Personally, I'm not concerned about needing to carry more line than they will, I've never come close to getting "spooled",, I'm running sunline defier armilo 22#, w 50# braid for backing on one of my 7:1 201dhsv, great for negotiators and smaller glides, and 50# sunline braid on another, great for top water stuff like punkers. On my 201 dpv, 5:1, I'm running sunline 25# super natural mono with a braid backing, and I'm guessing it has about 90-100 yards of total line, more than I've ever needed.

Hope this helps out any Shimano guys who are looking for a broader range of gear ratios outside of the newer Curado's 6:1.